Friday, October 31, 2008

Feel Some Pressure

I generally write three or four blog entries at a time. If I don’t do that I find it easy to miss a day. If I send several at a time it makes it easier for my friend to set them up for automatic posting. When I send them to him I always send a blind copy to me so I can keep track of what I have written. When the blog gets posted it sends a notification to me. When I receive it I delete both the original blog entry and the notification from my email list. I just noticed that there is only one blog entry left and it will post in three hours from the time I am writing this. At this point I don’t know when I will write new entries or what I will write about. Maybe I should briefly write about why I find myself so short of time.

One of my students I met on my last trip who I have spent considerable time with has made considerable improvement with her English. She has expressed an interest in working for an American company as a financial manager. When my son Mike was here he met with her and they had a great conversation about American accounting principles. This young lady recently applied for a job with an American company that has an office in China. They liked her resume and arranged a first interview. As a result of that interview she was asked to come to a second, which led to a third. At the third they liked everything except her English. They were not sure it was strong enough for what they wanted her to do. They have requested a fourth interview at the job site to evaluate her English.

Because of our close friendship and comfort she feels with me, she has requested some time with me to talk about that interview. There is not time to improve her English so how could she best prepare herself.

We met for dinner last night and spent several hours considering what she should do. I shared an experience with her I had when I was invited to meet with thirteen Chinese speaking people for dinner one day. I was the only English speaker there and I know about six words of Chinese, but it was a great experience and we all had an exceptional time. I have learned so much about communicating without words.

As I finished sharing my experience, my dinning partner got all excited and said, “I know what I have to do.” She now felt that she had to go there and agree that English was her weakness, but she was to show them that she could communicate with them and together they would work as an effective team. She felt she was to go there not to defend her English, but to demonstrate that by her humble personality, gentleness and kindness, she would be an effective leader and would soon overcome any English deficiency. The warmth of her heart and her desire to serve her team, combined with her financial maturity makes her a prime choice for the job, I believe.

I will meet with her again tonight over dinner for further conversations about this interview and about life. If she gets this job it would elevate her family to a wealthy status. This is a very special job for I believe a very special person.