Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Down Day

It started Friday afternoon and lasted until after my nap Saturday afternoon. Mike had gone back to the states and I was tired and not feeling well physically. To make matters worse it was a dark rainy period. On top of how I was feeling I had some big decisions to make about my living and work here in Wuhan, and I was making no progress at decision making. There seem to be so many forces and pressures pulling and pushing me in different directions.

It was raining less when I got up from my nap and I did feel better and decided to go to the coffee shop for a sandwich and maybe talk with some students. In the picture below the coffee shop, known as Mr. Mai’s, is located on the second floor above a nice western restaurant.


I decided to eat at the restaurant and then went upstairs and asked if I could join a table of four students I hadn’t met before. Soon two more joined us and the conversation intensified. It was a great conversation and after two hours it was time for me to leave. I felt like a different person and my students said that they really enjoyed the time and now have a different understanding of the topics we talked about.