Saturday, November 1, 2008

Finalize Lessons

I have prepared all of my lessons for the remaining classes, but there are a few loose ends. I would like to add some more Chinese to my PowerPoint slides and make a few more adjustments. I want to try to do that tomorrow before I go and live with Jiajing’s parents for the next three nights. We had planned on me arriving on Saturday and staying until I finish my class on Tuesday, when I could pick up my things and take the bus back to my apartment. During this time I have to come back to this side of town on Monday to teach a class at HUST – H… University of Science and Technology. These next four days will put me under some pressure, especially combining three teaching sessions with living with a Chinese family.

When people of two cultures come and live together it is quite different than two families from the same culture. It is amazing how many things are different and since I am living with them it is I who must adapt, not them. For a person approaching his mid seventies, change can be a bit painful at times, but I am determined this opportunity will work and will become a marvelous experience for all of us. It is this determination that I have to become as much like a Chinese as I can while I live in this country that has allowed me to be as accepted here and as effective as I have been. It is a joy to know that I will have brothers and sisters from China to spend an eternity with and to know that I have stimulated many others to think outside of their current experience. I know my work is not done here. I just hope I don’t run out of health before I have finished his work. I am sure I won’t because he will provide for all my needs.