As I was walking around taking pictures of the bridge for the last two blog entries I wasn’t paying attention to where my feet were going and nearly fell down. It seems that somebody didn’t have a good idea of what makes a good fit, as you can see from the picture below.

The piece chosen to cover the hole is the right shape and width, but it seems to be a bit long. As you can tell it has been that way for some time and will probably stay that way. I have walked along sidewalks where there are holes like this one with nothing covering the hole, which makes for interesting walking at night or when you are not paying attention. I guess it is better to have something in the hole to trip over than nothing which would allow you to step into it and break a leg, but the best choice would be a cover that actually fit. If this were a law suing society like in the states it would be cheaper to properly cover the holes than to pay the price of being sued.
In a developing country like China the focus is development, not maintenance. I have ridden on expressways that were so bad that lanes were actually blocked because they were impassible. When the other lanes got so bad that vehicles were breaking down and had to be towed off, something was finally done. The expressway was closed for a period of time and a new road was built as it was beyond repair because repair was never done when it was needed.

The piece chosen to cover the hole is the right shape and width, but it seems to be a bit long. As you can tell it has been that way for some time and will probably stay that way. I have walked along sidewalks where there are holes like this one with nothing covering the hole, which makes for interesting walking at night or when you are not paying attention. I guess it is better to have something in the hole to trip over than nothing which would allow you to step into it and break a leg, but the best choice would be a cover that actually fit. If this were a law suing society like in the states it would be cheaper to properly cover the holes than to pay the price of being sued.
In a developing country like China the focus is development, not maintenance. I have ridden on expressways that were so bad that lanes were actually blocked because they were impassible. When the other lanes got so bad that vehicles were breaking down and had to be towed off, something was finally done. The expressway was closed for a period of time and a new road was built as it was beyond repair because repair was never done when it was needed.
