Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Old Things

Saturday morning I was to meet Jiajing’s mom and Charles at the ferry landing but I misunderstood and went one more stop to the end of the 521 bus route. When nine came and went and I didn’t come they called and we soon got together and headed to the ferry to cross the river to catch the 533 bus to try to find the place where they sell old things at certain times. The picture below shows one area.


We walked around and around and around and stopped at many displays. On our way out we stopped by the one shown below and took a picture and Jiajing’s mom bought one of the items as a gift for me.


The item was chosen as a reflection of Chinese culture and a remembrance of being here at this special place where everything is displayed on the ground. Why bother with tables or display counters. The ground was there and saves a lot of extra work.


From there we took a taxi to the shopping street to find a special place to have lunch. Lunch was a real treat and the food was exceptional. I will return for sure.


The picture above was taken from a bridge over a main city road at about the half way point. From that bridge the pedestrian shopping walk extends as far as you can see in both directions.

We walked toward the river end, crossed the road to the ferry landing and took the ferry back to where we started. Charles and I got on the 521 and headed back to our homes. We had a good time together and Charles had the opportunity to practice his English by talking with me for several hours.

A special thanks to Jiajing’s mom for another great morning.