It was about 7:30am and I had just finished eating breakfast and decided to do a quick check of my email before heading off to church. I checked and noticed an email asking if I was up yet as the person wanted directions to the church I go to. I grabbed my phone and called her and found out that it was her and two Chinese friends; one I knew well and spoke English. I said I would walk to her bus stop – about ten minutes from mine – and be there by eight and we would all ride together.
We arrived at the church about five minutes before service started, but for some reason it was almost packed today. We took a seat near the back. Following us in was an American family of six girls and one boy on assignment here for a year who sat in the row behind us. Up front we noticed that the sermon would be brought by a visiting American. I sensed this was going to be a special morning.
The English speaking Chinese students were very interested in Christianity and had an opportunity to learn much this morning, as the message was simple and very clear, and in both English and Chinese. Part of the sermon had to do with a difficult marriage relationship, which got the attention of the second student because her parents are considering divorce.
After church the three of them went to talk to the large American family, while I spent time with Joy concerning the Tuesday class. The person I talked to on the phone learned that he taught engineering at the same university that she taught English at. She was so excited to know of another English speaking teacher there. After our conversations the four of us decided to stop by a simple place and have noodles for lunch. I spent $1.50 for four of us to eat. It wasn’t much of a Chinese meal, but our time together made up the difference.
The Chinese student with the parents with the troubled marriage said this was her first time in a Christian church and wanted to know what prayer was and wondered if she could pray for her parents and if God would solve the problem. How do you respond when you have to speak through one Chinese student to another?
We ate and talked and got on the bus back. The Chinese student that is interested in Christianity wanted to sit with me because she wanted to discuss the sermon with me. We had a very good discussion. She is so very close to a decision. I had spent time with her on my spring trip so I knew her quite well.
We had such a great time together we decided to meet next Saturday and take the bus to the ferry, walk to the big park on far side of the river, go have a nice meal at a special place Jiajing’s mom showed me, and return home. The person who is close to a decision we call Alice. You know what you should be doing concerning her.
We arrived at the church about five minutes before service started, but for some reason it was almost packed today. We took a seat near the back. Following us in was an American family of six girls and one boy on assignment here for a year who sat in the row behind us. Up front we noticed that the sermon would be brought by a visiting American. I sensed this was going to be a special morning.
The English speaking Chinese students were very interested in Christianity and had an opportunity to learn much this morning, as the message was simple and very clear, and in both English and Chinese. Part of the sermon had to do with a difficult marriage relationship, which got the attention of the second student because her parents are considering divorce.
After church the three of them went to talk to the large American family, while I spent time with Joy concerning the Tuesday class. The person I talked to on the phone learned that he taught engineering at the same university that she taught English at. She was so excited to know of another English speaking teacher there. After our conversations the four of us decided to stop by a simple place and have noodles for lunch. I spent $1.50 for four of us to eat. It wasn’t much of a Chinese meal, but our time together made up the difference.
The Chinese student with the parents with the troubled marriage said this was her first time in a Christian church and wanted to know what prayer was and wondered if she could pray for her parents and if God would solve the problem. How do you respond when you have to speak through one Chinese student to another?
We ate and talked and got on the bus back. The Chinese student that is interested in Christianity wanted to sit with me because she wanted to discuss the sermon with me. We had a very good discussion. She is so very close to a decision. I had spent time with her on my spring trip so I knew her quite well.
We had such a great time together we decided to meet next Saturday and take the bus to the ferry, walk to the big park on far side of the river, go have a nice meal at a special place Jiajing’s mom showed me, and return home. The person who is close to a decision we call Alice. You know what you should be doing concerning her.
