It is late Sunday afternoon as I write this and I just returned from another special day with Jiajing’s parents and friends. Jiajing’s mom and an English speaking college family member attended church with me. After church we spent a few minutes with my Tuesday class interpreter to answer a few English questions and plan final logistics for the class. We then walked to a bus stop and took the 578 bus to near Jiajing’s home. We walked a short block to her apartment where I was met by two boys who were eager to talk with me in English.
The youngest had his English reader and wanted to read to me. At first he was very nervous, but I set him at ease quickly as we worked on a few words. In a short time he was reading with very good expression. That was a joy and one half experience for both of us.
The older boy, I assume to be late high school, just wanted to talk. His topic surprised me as he immediately wanted to talk about my faith. As we talked the college student listened very carefully. At a particular point in the conversation I took a piece of paper and drew my special drawing of a person. When I finished the college student said, “That is really clear and makes a lot of sense. I will give it much thought.”
At that point the call came for dinner and eight of us gathered around the table and had a great Chinese dinner. There was way too much food to eat, but all of it was so good. Jiajing’s mom and dad are both great cooks and as a result you always leave the table fully satisfied.
By the time we got through eating and talking it was 1:30 and we headed to the PC to see if Jiajing was still up. She answered Skype with grunts as she had her toothbrush in her mouth in the middle of brushing her teeth. We all had a big laugh, told her good night, and hung up. We spent some time making the connections in Skype so I could be connected to the two older boys.
Since the weather was over the top in being nice, Jiajing’s mom, the college fellow – this is the way you write when you don’t use names – and I decided to walk a block to the river and enjoy a stroll in the park and then sit, talk and enjoy the view. It was one of those rare clear days with blue sky and I didn’t have my camera so you will have to imagine what it was like.
After sitting for awhile it was time to go and they drove me home. It was a special afternoon and one that I really needed. I really enjoyed the time together. Thanks for everything.
PS I forgot to send this to my friend who posts them.
The youngest had his English reader and wanted to read to me. At first he was very nervous, but I set him at ease quickly as we worked on a few words. In a short time he was reading with very good expression. That was a joy and one half experience for both of us.
The older boy, I assume to be late high school, just wanted to talk. His topic surprised me as he immediately wanted to talk about my faith. As we talked the college student listened very carefully. At a particular point in the conversation I took a piece of paper and drew my special drawing of a person. When I finished the college student said, “That is really clear and makes a lot of sense. I will give it much thought.”
At that point the call came for dinner and eight of us gathered around the table and had a great Chinese dinner. There was way too much food to eat, but all of it was so good. Jiajing’s mom and dad are both great cooks and as a result you always leave the table fully satisfied.
By the time we got through eating and talking it was 1:30 and we headed to the PC to see if Jiajing was still up. She answered Skype with grunts as she had her toothbrush in her mouth in the middle of brushing her teeth. We all had a big laugh, told her good night, and hung up. We spent some time making the connections in Skype so I could be connected to the two older boys.
Since the weather was over the top in being nice, Jiajing’s mom, the college fellow – this is the way you write when you don’t use names – and I decided to walk a block to the river and enjoy a stroll in the park and then sit, talk and enjoy the view. It was one of those rare clear days with blue sky and I didn’t have my camera so you will have to imagine what it was like.
After sitting for awhile it was time to go and they drove me home. It was a special afternoon and one that I really needed. I really enjoyed the time together. Thanks for everything.
PS I forgot to send this to my friend who posts them.
