Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lunch After Class

(Continued from last entry) Jiajing’s mom was one of my students this morning. After class she sat and talked with another student while I was packing up my things. As I started to leave she stopped me and got Joy so she could have a conversation with me. She asked if I had any plans for lunch and could I go with her to eat. I said I was free and so we went to get a taxi. We stopped by where she works and she took my backpack into work and came back to the taxi and we drove for another five minutes to a very nice hotel which had a large restaurant and private rooms on the fifth floor. We had a private escort up to a private room and when we entered there were thirteen of her friends from work waiting for us. I was placed in the seat of honor, which is located across the table from the door. The table was huge and could easily seat 16 people. The meal was marvelous and the fellowship was an experience. This was really special.

By now nearly two hours had gone by and it was time to leave. Jiajing’s mom and I went down to the street and crossed over to the park by the river. We walked for awhile and then sat down on a bench to watch the barges on the river. As we did we began to work on some English words.

We got up to walk back to where she works to get my backpack. On the way I sensed she wanted to learn some more English. I found it so natural to start with simple things like, “You, me walk.” We point and act it out. “We walk forward.” “We walk backward.” And we act it out. I point to car and say “Car.” To truck and say “Truck.” To grass and say “Grass.” It is a great way to learn practical English because everything has a picture, not a definition of a word. It was a fun time teaching her and I believe she enjoyed it. I would like to do more of it.

We got back to where she works and got my backpack. She left it with the guard. I put it on and we walked to the 521 bus stop. Thank you was not enough, but it was all I could say followed by goodbye, and I got on the bus and headed home to reflect on the activities of the day and write these blog entries.

Yes, it was a very good day. It is days like this and what is accomplished that keep me coming back, no matter how difficult it is at times. Unless something comes up that I don’t expect, I believe I must return in the spring, not for four months, but for a shorter time. But I must return.