Saturday, April 5, 2008

What A Day

It was Friday morning, about 10:30, and I knew I needed a nap to keep going. I laid down and my cell phone went off, indicating that it had just received a text message and that it wanted me to read it. I laid there for a minute thinking that my sleep was more important than that message, but I still got up and read it (the demands of technology). It was from Emmy, wanting to know where I was and what I was doing. I responded and went back for my nap. About an hour later my phone rings (I should have put it on silent) and I answer it. It was Emmy asking if I would be able to meet with her parents that afternoon and talk about some things. I said yes, not having any idea what I was getting into. We would meet at the front gate of my apartment complex, sometime between 3 and 4, and they would call me five minutes before arriving so that I could wait in my apartment.

We met at four. We includes Emmy, her father and mother, her uncle and his 10 year old son, and me. Emmy introduced me to everyone, but it became clear that Emmy’s uncle Tom would lead the conversation. He was clearly well educated and spoke English very well. I was to learn later that he had taught English literature for 15 years at a Chinese university and then established a fiber optics business with an American company and has been with it for the last 10 years.

Emmy asked if we could go to my apartment and become acquainted and then discuss what was on their mind. We went and they carried a big bag of fruit and a folder of material. I am thankful that I was unpacked and had the place picked up, but on the coffee table in from of the couch laid my Bible and a big thick book I was reading with a big glaring title that said, “Jesus the Messiah”. At this point I didn’t know what this family thought about Christianity and now I have an authority from the police department (Emmy’s dad) in my apartment looking around.

I gathered up enough chairs, formed a circle and we sat down, except for Emmy’s dad and grandson. They went out on the balcony and looked everything over, came back in and abruptly left my apartment. At that point Tom wanted to discuss Emmy’s future in possibly going to the US. We talked about a number of options and as we did we were also getting to know each other. As we talked it was becoming clear that they were drawing me in closer to them as a family. About an hour later I sensed what I thought was right for Emmy and shared it with them. I suggested that Emmy select a college within four hours driving time from the Dallas area and apply. I suggested she apply for a visa, which she probably would not receive. If she did then everything is go. If not she would stay in China another year and better prepare herself as a Christian, and for college entrance, before applying again for a visa. Tom and Emmy’s mother embraced this idea, but wanted me to spend time with Emmy and train her in any way that I could.

What happened next is not what I expected, but you will have to wait until tomorrow to find that out. I am still asking the question, “Lord, why me?”

No comments: