It was Monday afternoon and I had just walked into the coffee shop and was immediately taken aside and told that there was a person there that would speak to no one else but me. I was directed to him and we found a private place and started our conversation, but that will have to wait until I can process the seriousness what we talked about. During this conversation I noticed that Emmy and three of her classmates walked in, very unexpectedly. They were supposed to be in school, but managed to get away to spend some time with me. After finishing the conversation with my desperate guest, I joined Emmy’s group. We spent about 30 minutes together and they began to talk about eating. I sensed they were going out to eat and they were kind of hoping I might be able to get away and join then. As the westerner I come right to the point and suggest that we go to the restaurant next door and get up to have them follow me.

The five of us walked in and the owner noticed me. She hurries up to shake my hand, but grabs it with both of hers and was beside herself because she couldn’t speak any English. She used to have an old place across the street from the entrance to the apartment complex where I live (see below). I used to go there often with my Chinese/English version of her menu and order by pointing to what I wanted. I would always order three times what I needed and take two thirds of it with me for future meals. Even though we couldn’t talk to each other, our relationship grew. Since this old restaurant was in the path of the pedestrian walk, she decided to really extend herself and open a larger, modern place. One day on my last trip I was walking by her new restaurant and she runs out to encourage me to come in and with sign language that is how I learned about her new place. If I eat out alone I usually go to her old place, if I don’t go to the cafeteria, because it is closer and I enjoy the one-on-one attention I get there.

The five of us were shown a table and she excitedly took the place of the waitress until she was called away by her cell phone. After the phone call she came back and explained in Chinese, to my little group, the details of how I used to order. Everyone enjoyed this, including others in the restaurant who were listening. Each of us ordered a dish, but somehow we ended up with six. It was so good and the conversation was great; truly a good Chinese style meal. We cleaned up the food, requested the bill, which was 120 RMB or yen. At today’s conversion that would be $17.14. Not bad for a hungry group of five. I provided 100 RMB and they covered the rest. I figure 100 RMB or about $14 is a small price for this kind of friendship building. I would like to do this each week with various students.
We went back to the coffee house and two of them went up front to buy five cookies. We broke them up into pieces and continued our conversation. Eight o’clock came and it was time for this old grandpa to go. Emmy walked out with me because she had some things to talk about concerning a meeting I was to have with her family and two others, Thursday evening. We talked privately at the back door and she returned to her friends. Another great day of service.

The five of us walked in and the owner noticed me. She hurries up to shake my hand, but grabs it with both of hers and was beside herself because she couldn’t speak any English. She used to have an old place across the street from the entrance to the apartment complex where I live (see below). I used to go there often with my Chinese/English version of her menu and order by pointing to what I wanted. I would always order three times what I needed and take two thirds of it with me for future meals. Even though we couldn’t talk to each other, our relationship grew. Since this old restaurant was in the path of the pedestrian walk, she decided to really extend herself and open a larger, modern place. One day on my last trip I was walking by her new restaurant and she runs out to encourage me to come in and with sign language that is how I learned about her new place. If I eat out alone I usually go to her old place, if I don’t go to the cafeteria, because it is closer and I enjoy the one-on-one attention I get there.

The five of us were shown a table and she excitedly took the place of the waitress until she was called away by her cell phone. After the phone call she came back and explained in Chinese, to my little group, the details of how I used to order. Everyone enjoyed this, including others in the restaurant who were listening. Each of us ordered a dish, but somehow we ended up with six. It was so good and the conversation was great; truly a good Chinese style meal. We cleaned up the food, requested the bill, which was 120 RMB or yen. At today’s conversion that would be $17.14. Not bad for a hungry group of five. I provided 100 RMB and they covered the rest. I figure 100 RMB or about $14 is a small price for this kind of friendship building. I would like to do this each week with various students.
We went back to the coffee house and two of them went up front to buy five cookies. We broke them up into pieces and continued our conversation. Eight o’clock came and it was time for this old grandpa to go. Emmy walked out with me because she had some things to talk about concerning a meeting I was to have with her family and two others, Thursday evening. We talked privately at the back door and she returned to her friends. Another great day of service.

No comments:
Post a Comment