Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mango

A mango is a tropical "large ovoid or oblong fruit with a firm yellowish-red skin, hard central stone, and juicy aromatic pulp" (Merriam-Webster, Inc: Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Eleventh ed. Springfield, Mass. : Merriam-Webster, Inc., 2003), shown in the picture below.


Emmy’s mother gave me a bag of them along with a bag of oranges. When they showed me the mangos I asked how I was to eat them. Emmy was told to go with me to the kitchen and show me how to prepare one to eat. Now that I have eaten several of them – one each morning for breakfast – I thought I would share how to prepare one so that you could enjoy eating one if you could find one in the store.

The skin is rather thick and tough, almost like thin leather. The hard central stone is very thin and flat, but almost the size of the fruit. With a knife you cut along next to the plane of the stone and lay that half of the fruit down. You now cut the other side away from the stone. I am still learning how to do that and get two good halves of fruit. The next picture shows the two halves and in between, standing sideways is the thin stone. There is almost no fruit left around the stone, which I just throw away.


Taking the knife again, cut the fruit lengthwise down the middle. Cut each side in half. Cut across the middle again at right angles to the previous three cuts. Make a cut on each side of that cut. The fruit has now been diced into sixteen pieces. These cuts will not cut the skin, unless you press very hard. You can now turn the fruit inside-out, causing the diced fruit to stand apart making it easy to eat without a spoon. It is a little messy, but eating in China is more messy than in the states. If I ate at home like I eat here I would probably be left to eat alone. Try eating soup or rice without a spoon.


The fruit is delicious and rather juicy. They will remain part of my diet while in season.

No comments: