Monday, April 28, 2008

Low Cost Dryer

Breakfast was over and I was standing at my kitchen sink washing my dishes. I happened to look out to my laundry balcony, on the fifth floor, and noticed that I was being watched by a person from her sixth floor balcony, who was hanging out her laundry. At first you feel kind of self conscience when your neighbor can clearly watch you wash your dishes, but I could watch her lean way out and hang out her things. So I continue to watch her and wash my dishes and she continues to watch me and hang out her laundry.

As I was watching her I thought about my blog and went to get my camera, but by then it was too late to include her in my picture. The picture was still worth taking, but would have been much better with her in it, especially when she was hanging out about as far as she could without falling.

The rack you hang things on is attached securely to the window frame. You start putting things on the rack with it pulled in close to the window. When the farthest rod is full you push it out a little and fill the next rod. Continue the process until the rack is full or you run out of laundry or . . . it is six floors down. Notice the clips she uses to hold the laundry on the rods so the wind doesn’t blow them off. This in an energy efficient dryer and the clothes smell fresh when you bring them in.

Several days later I was waiting for the elevator to come down so I could ride up to my apartment. As I waited, the person who was hanging out the laundry walked into the lobby to go up to her apartment. The elevator arrived and we got on. She presses 6 for her floor and then looks at me and presses 5 for my floor and smiles. Off of our elevator are 44 families. In a building across from me they have 126 families off their elevator. That would be 126 homes in the US. Here we save land and all kinds of energy and, as gas prices continue to go up in the states, you might like to be able to walk more like I do by living closer together to people and all the things you need to go to the store for. I can travel for two months around the city for less than what one tank of gas cost for my car. The question is, “How much are you willing to pay for some of your comforts and more privacy?” A cost measured in time, money and energy.

No comments: