Monday, April 14, 2008

Pedestrian Walk – Part 3

This will be the last part of our pedestrian walk for now. I am sure we will come back from time to time because I usually walk it once each week to go to my bank or to buy certain items, that I do need. I enjoy walking through the existing street shop area of the poor area to try to get closer to what life is like for them. In another year or two they will be gone and in their place there will be high rises and modern shops. I don’t want to look down on these people, but try to understand what life is like for them. I find that when I do I become more and more uncomfortable with my life style in the US. The picture below is near where the walk will end in a few short years.


The mall is at the point of a right triangle of land, formed by two legs of about a mile in length. The right angle is up the street on the left, shown in the picture below, at a major university. The Pedestrian Walk forms the hypotenuse on the right. The mall itself is an isosceles triangle with the main entrance at the point, a large six story department store in back left corner, and a 30 story apartment building in the back right corner. The bottom six floors of this apartment building form part of the mall and is filled with shops. The picture below shows the mall from the center of the traffic circle. We will enter through the main entrance off the traffic circle.


We enter the mall and go to the second floor above the entrance and take a picture, looking toward the central court area from which isles branch off to form a maze of isles containing hundreds of shops of various size.


We walk in to the central court area and go to the sixth floor to take a picture showing the apartment building on the right and several apartment buildings under construction in the distance. Those buildings are also on the walk. This mall would not be considered high class. You have to go cities like Beijing to find them.


I wander down one of the isles toward the apartment building and look up through a skylight for the picture shown below. Think of all the people who can live there. Who needs a car? Everything you need is right here and with 20 or more bus lines passing in front of the mall, you can go anyplace in the city. In the US we would build about four houses where all those people will live.


Maybe you work in the mall, or want to go out to eat, or to buy all those things you don’t need; you can live right there and do it all. Let’s go down to the mall and . . .


No comments: