Thursday, April 24, 2008

Concerned – Part 1

It was Friday afternoon and Emmy’s dad was to meet me at 3:30 pm at the front gate of my apartment complex. It was now 3:15 and I was finishing up a section of a Bible study I am preparing and I heard a knock at my door. I get up from my laptop and went to the door to see who was there and to my surprise Emmy’s dad and mom had gotten through two levels of security and were standing at my door with big smiles on their faces. They walk in and he takes off his shoes and makes himself at home on the couch and she heads to my kitchen with a big bag of fruit and begins to fill my refrigerator. It was so natural; like two family members had just come to visit.

They had learned a few English words and I learned that they were going to take me to Emmy’s school, where she is currently finishing up two days of exams, and have her join us. From near my apartment to her school, takes two hours by bus. By car we made it in one hour. I have learned to relax on drives like this because I know that my odds of getting there alive are greater than not. In fact, I am 100% sure that if I get there I will be alive, so why worry.

We took the scenic route around several lakes and actually had some conversation. It was an enjoyable ride with beautiful scenery and brought back many wonderful memories. In the fall Emmy, Julia, Minnie, Michelle, and I spent a Sunday afternoon after a great meal on two of these lakes. We stopped at a park, near the school, where I was told that we had 30 minutes to wait until Emmy was finished. I wish I had brought my camera, but Emmy’s mom said that she would send me her pictures. I think she had planned this, because she wanted pictures of me with the family. The love and joy I experience being with them and being included as part of their family is so marvelous. I wonder if my family will make Emmy feel as much a family member as I do hers, if she is given the opportunity to visit. With prayer and persistence I believe Emmy will come to the US to study.

We walked around the park, taking pictures, looking at things, and enjoying each other, allowing 30 minutes to quickly slip by. We went back to the car and drove for just a few minutes to Emmy’s school. Emmy’s mom went to meet Emmy and in a few minutes returned with her for some more picture taking. Conversation was much easier now with Emmy present.

Now back to the car, Emmy and her mom take the back seat and her dad and I the front seat and we head across town to the restaurant where we are to meet two other families. On our way to the restaurant we came to a river side park of the Yangtze River. We parked across the street from it. Since we were 30 minutes ahead of schedule, we decided to go walk in the park to pass some time.

To learn about my concern you will have to come back tomorrow and the day after. It is a concern that lays heavy on my heart and has to do with my work here.

No comments: