Thursday, July 7, 2011

Garage Framing Finished

Tuesday afternoon came to an end as I finished the garage door wall. It was another long day of nearly eleven hours of work, but I am sure enjoying myself. The challenge today was how to build a wall that is nearly all top and stand it up, working alone. I decided to lay it out, build it without the two 2 by 12’s for the header. I will put those up separately. 


You can see the space above the door opening where the 2 by 12’s will go. Working alone I can raise one side just so far and then go to the other side and raise it. Without the header it is not too heavy for me to lift.


I have the wall about half way up and decided to get a picture for you.


I got the wall up and put a double plate on the top to strengthen the wall and tie it into the side walls. I constructed two guides for the 2 by 12’s out of 2 by 6’s. I cut the 2 by 12 to length and slipped it into the guide. I will lift one end part way and then the other side. I will continue doing that until I have it up.


I am a little over half way up.


There, I have one up.


Both 2 by 12’s are in place. I think it looks pretty good. Tomorrow morning I will plumb and brace this wall and then I will. . .  Come back tomorrow and see what I do.

1 comment:

Jon Morrill said...

Nice job, that's using brain power.