Monday, August 8, 2011

Started Electrical

My brother, Jim, started the electrical Friday afternoon, but at about the same time the heating contractor backed out of the job. When he and Jon went to purchase the furnace, the supplier was unable to sell the furnace to Jon because he was not a licensed installer. The heating contractor was unable to purchase the furnace because he was retired and his license was no longer valid. This presents us with a problem because we need to start installation Monday to stay on schedule and we now have to find another contractor who can do this job and start now.


Friday morning I laid out the kitchen cabinets on the floor. Doing that allows the heating contractor, when we find one, and the electrician to do their layout. The cans for the kitchen lights are placed on the floor exactly below where they are to go in the ceiling. Making two measurements for each can on the floor allows you to locate exactly the can in the ceiling.


It is Saturday afternoon and Jon and Rachael just got home from checking out cost of decking. They will order on Monday. I will be ready to install as soon as we can get it.


It looks like Jon is giving me directions, but he wasn’t. It was just a great conversation on our progress. I was in the process of bonding the vapor barrier to the aluminum water shield. I had just finished putting up the five wood strips on the deck ceiling to attach the ceiling to.


From the back yard the addition really looks nice. The roof is done, but we still need to put the vapor barrier on the three peaks. The vapor barrier was not put on bottom side up; Lowe’s simply printed our roll backwards.


This week I need to determine the materials list for the window well and start work on it, but I will need to get our tractor back.


David asked if he could use it for a few days to move some dirt (soil). From my own experience with my tractor in Texas, I know David had fun digging the hole. Going down the slope the weight of the tractor allows one to easily fill the bucket. The operator then moves his foot and move the direction peddle into the reverse position; the hydrostatic transmission responds and the diesel engine provides the power to back out the tractor with a full load in the bucket. Backing up the grade with a full load and the sound of the engine gives the operator a really nice feeling. It is a wonderful combination of man and machine. I suppose it is like a high on drugs. You want to go in for another bucket full. Maybe that is why the hole is so big.


He wants to remove about three feet of earth from underneath the sunroom. He will probably remove the blocks, dig out the earth, rebuild the wall, and replace the soil in the current hole. I will keep you posted on this one.

No comments: