Friday, August 5, 2011

Deck

Today, Thursday, August 04, 2011, was a beautiful clear summer day in the low 80’s. It was kind of a transition day. There are still about three or four lose ends to do as we shift into doing the utilities. I started work on the deck, but ran out of time as my brother stopped by to discuss electrical and plumbing. Before retiring he was a professional electrician and also knows a lot about plumbing. He volunteered to give me a hand doing both. We walked through the building and laid out the electrical, working up a materials list. We did the same for plumbing. Friday the furnace contractor will be in to start his work. I hope to have all utilities done by the end of next week. That will leave insulation and we will be ready for drywall.


Before placing the deck joists I had to bend and install the aluminum water seal. Next came the two by eight rim board that was bolted into the side of the house. Joists hangers were installed on the rim board to secure the joists to it. I am in the process of placing the joists into the hangers, but not securing them. Once all the joists are positioned a line will be snapped across the outside ends. Each joist will be taken out and cut on the line and then put back in place. Once they are all in place the outside rim board will be installed and the joists secured to the outside sill with metal connectors. We will then be ready to install the floor when it comes.


I took out the two posts holding up the roof and encased them with vinyl. When done there will be nothing except the exterior doors that will need painting outside. At the end of the patio the door has been installed. I will show it next time. Until then use your time wisely because once it goes by it is gone.

No comments: