Monday, August 29, 2011

More Siding

Saturday, August 27, was a nice work day, at least for me. It was cool enough that I didn’t sweat, but warn enough that I didn’t wear a long sleeve shirt. It was hot enough for Jon to soak his shirt with sweat. How different people are when it comes to temperatures and even time of day for sleep. I like to go to bed at eight PM, but Denny would prefer to stay up until one AM.


We finally got the garage door installed. Maybe it is more than a garage door because of all the conversation it is generating. From the outside it looks like a normal door, but inside it is not normal. In all the years the installer has been installing doors he has never installed one like this one. In fact he had to sit down and read the directions. Doors like this one are sold only in places like Florida where hurricanes are common. It is a door designed to withstand winds of 150 mph. Because of a series of situations we ended up with a Florida door here in western New York.


You feel like you are in a fortress when standing inside the garage with the door closed. The horizontal metal pieces are six inches deep and weigh as much as the door panel they are attached to. “Let me out!”


Outside, work continues with siding installation. Jon and I are talking about how we are going to get the first piece of siding under the starter strip. My plan was to arrange for a seam at the center and slide the siding on from the middle. The plan worked like a charm or is it a dream come true? However, it worked.


We went to work and made progress.


Looks nice doesn’t it?


We moved around to the back and finished it except for the fascia. Jon will do that when I am off the job.


The nail I am holding is a Texas sized nail that we used to nail the window well together. Don’t even think of trying to drive that size nail with that size hammer. First, you predrill the top piece and then you pick up a sledge hammer and drive the nail into the second piece. About three or four good blows will do the job.


My brother, Jim, came over and laid the blocks on the brick ledge. I had designed the foundation for brick, but plans changed to cultured stone. I had Jim add the blocks so I could set the deck on them. We should be here at the end of next week.


Once we got the east end of the garage done we moved over to the south end of the house and went to work, but ran out of afternoon before we finished. We are measuring for the last piece of the afternoon.


You have to use your square to mark the rise and run of the roof to get the angle cut on the first piece. For all other pieces you use the piece cut off as a template.


The piece fits like it should. Nice job guys!

No comments: