Monday, October 19, 2009

Sunday

This is my third Sunday so far in China on this trip and it is the first Sunday in Church. It is the first time I have missed church this year, if I remember right. The first Sunday I was in Xi'an, checking out the old city wall. Morning devotionals would have to do along with some prayer walking on the wall. The next Sunday found me in no condition health wise to go to church. I had come down with a real nasty chest cold. It has been a very long time since I had been sick, but I got so run down from preparing for the trip to China, problems with the trip over, two overnight train rides of 14 hours each with three travel and sightseeing days in between, and then more travel and family and friend dinners. It was just too much and I was not able to stand against the enemy and got run over. I know from past experience that this kind of cold will take weeks to get over. As a result it is making this trip much more difficult than normal. But this Sunday I finally got to church.

As usual when I walked in the side door at the front of the church I was immediately recognized. Having taught for eight months in that sanctuary has created some very strong relationships. I am overwhelmed by their reception when I return on each trip. By the looks on the faces of Jenny and Joy I knew I was in trouble. As soon as they got a chance I was asked if I would teach again. I said I would. I have got to get Power Point out and dust it off and get to work this week. Next Sunday evening will come very quickly.

I normally do a video of the choir number each Sunday, but today I didn't. I realize now it was a mistake as the choir number was very good and when I didn't get up to record it many people looked at me and wondered why. I could actually feel their looking at me and wondering. It was though they thought that I didn't care. I will take my camera next week.

In a way it was a very sad time at church. The large family of girls - their mother gave birth to another girl two weeks ago; number nine - and one boy no longer go to church there. I realized this morning how much I miss their love and their help. I have no one sitting next to me who tells me what hymn to turn to or what Scripture is being read or to call me grandpa Steve. And at the end of a Chinese sermon I have no one to give me a summary of what was taught. I deeply miss this and them. They moved across the river and go to church there. I must find where they live and visit them before I return to the states.

Jiajing's mom and I went out for breakfast along the street and then walked to church. After church we walked a local market and bought some food for several meals. From there we walked to a bus stop for a ride home. At the bus stop was an old lady with a wood table. The top was solid wood and was three feet square with four solid legs. It was all she could do to carry it and she planned to get on the bus. Her bus pulls up - the same bus we were to get on - and she grabs the table and heads to the center exit door, which was just wide enough to get the table in. She manages to get it in, totally blocks the isle with the table and goes to the front to, of all things, show her free pass. Two bus stops later she gets off to transfer with the table to another bus. One tough old lady. What people don't try to take on the bus with them.