How much travel can one endure? Mike and I arrived in Wuhan at different times on Thursday, September 24th, and repacked for a trip out on Friday. We boarded the train late in the afternoon, with a multitude of others, for a fourteen hour sleepover in the hard sleeper - It is like sleeping on an average carpet in the US. - We all slept very well, arriving in Xi'an in time for breakfast. After breakfast we were taken in a private car and rode for a bit more than an hour to another city to begin our sightseeing. We rode back for dinner in Xi'an and then for the night sights. Since the body clock of this old man is permanently set to shut me down around eight PM and then up and ready to go by eight AM, I decided to wimp out and stayed at the hotel and get some sleep. The next morning it was back on the road for a two and one half hour drive to another sightseeing spot. We were back in Xi'an in time for dinner and by the time we finished it was time for sleep. The next morning - now Monday - we stayed in Xi'an and went to see the city wall and the surrounding tourist attractions to spend just a small amount of money. Back on the train by 6:30 PM for another fourteen hour sleepover.
Back in Wuhan on Tuesday, we unpacked and got cleaned up and Mike and I took the ferry across the river to spend some time together on the business pedestrian walk to get a feel of the business climate and rub shoulders with a multitude of young people who are being programmed that life is not complete unless you can buy the things you see in the stores. Back across the river for dinner with a family friend and a wonderful time. After we ate, seven of us sat in the living room and talked and talked. It was a wonderful blend of two cultures and two languages. With two who spoke both languages, there was no problem communicating. Mike and I were deeply moved by that evening, which is building relations for why I am here.
The next day - now Wednesday - Mike and I caught a bus to visit the world's longest pedestrian walk to see how construction is progressing. From there we took a bus to East Lake and then a taxi back home for a one o'clock lunch. In the afternoon it was back on the ferry with Jiajing's mom for a trip across the river to a flower expo. What a sight that was!! Back across the river in time for dinner with friends of the family and finally to bed.
It is now Thursday, October first and we are headed off to the airport for Mike's long trip home. He was clearly not ready to leave and considered staying an extra two days, but decided it was best not to. He is talking about returning in the spring and again in the fall. Like with me, China has clearly become part of Mike. He and Tom are getting very close.
Now that I have bored and maybe exhausted you with our travels, I will begin to write blog entries of the sights. All I need is time, because I have 182 pictures to choose from. For example.

The problem is which ones to choose.
Back in Wuhan on Tuesday, we unpacked and got cleaned up and Mike and I took the ferry across the river to spend some time together on the business pedestrian walk to get a feel of the business climate and rub shoulders with a multitude of young people who are being programmed that life is not complete unless you can buy the things you see in the stores. Back across the river for dinner with a family friend and a wonderful time. After we ate, seven of us sat in the living room and talked and talked. It was a wonderful blend of two cultures and two languages. With two who spoke both languages, there was no problem communicating. Mike and I were deeply moved by that evening, which is building relations for why I am here.
The next day - now Wednesday - Mike and I caught a bus to visit the world's longest pedestrian walk to see how construction is progressing. From there we took a bus to East Lake and then a taxi back home for a one o'clock lunch. In the afternoon it was back on the ferry with Jiajing's mom for a trip across the river to a flower expo. What a sight that was!! Back across the river in time for dinner with friends of the family and finally to bed.
It is now Thursday, October first and we are headed off to the airport for Mike's long trip home. He was clearly not ready to leave and considered staying an extra two days, but decided it was best not to. He is talking about returning in the spring and again in the fall. Like with me, China has clearly become part of Mike. He and Tom are getting very close.
Now that I have bored and maybe exhausted you with our travels, I will begin to write blog entries of the sights. All I need is time, because I have 182 pictures to choose from. For example.


No comments:
Post a Comment