Tuesday, October 27, 2009

More Low Water

It was ten in the morning and a nice day and I felt like a ferry ride and a walk in the park on the other side of the river. I grabbed my things and went. These are not just recreation times, but times to pray.

When I finally got to the park - it took about 30 minutes - I couldn't help but notice how far away the water seemed to be and so I wandered down toward the water's edge for a look and a few pictures.


Others are looking the situation over also. There is a lot of distance, both horizontally and vertically that the river has receded from.


While at the river's edge a tugboat went by so I shot it. It didn't sink!


When I looked a little later I noticed a container boat going up river with 68 containers on it. If there is a fifth course that I can't see then the total would be 84.


It is not uncommon for the river to rise almost to where the person is sitting. Behind him is another large retaining wall that is about 15 to 20 feet high above street level. Before the Three Gorges Dam was built the river had made it part way up the wall. Even in the picture above, it would take a lot of water flowing down the river to reach the person sitting down. I would love to be here to get some pictures when that happens.


The Three Gorges Dam spans the Yangtze River. - The picture shows the center section. - It is 7661 feet long and is 331 feet high. It can create a reservoirs capacity of 9.4 cubic miles with a surface area of 403 square miles. It is the world's largest electricity-generating plant of any kind. For other information go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Gorges_Dam.