Friday, October 16, 2009

Opportunities

The command "Let's go." is always the beginning of an adventure that will involve me and an English speaking student in a Chinese speaking environment. No matter how I feel I have a job to do and it has always been a very meaningful one. Some may be short while others long and tiring. The group of people I am with may be small or large, usually a mixture of family and friends. The event could be formal or informal. I have experienced everything from weddings to funerals, intimate family groups to large dinners. I have learned how to behave, what to say and what to do. I believe God has uniquely prepared me for this kind of work as I seem to sense how to make the most of the situation, providing a good time for everyone, sometimes at my expense. Even then I have learned to see it as a fun time.

The English speaking student is always nervous, but give me about a minute and I can get them over that. As we talk the adults always seem to keep watch and at times get involved and by the time the party is over I have become a special part of the group. I have learned much about being humble and gentle during these times. I have learned even more on how to react in so many situations so that everyone always feels at ease and can have a great time when I am around.

Seldom is there direct conversation about Christianity, but I am always alert as to what is appropriate and when to say something. It always has to fit smoothly into what is taking place. Coming along side is always better than head on, which causes more wrecks than we want to admit. It has been good for me to see the power of action verses words. Since I don't know Chinese I have to rely on my behavior, actions, prayer and the work of the Holy Spirit. It is really a cool experience. Don't forget that you can be part of what I do here by your prayers. Don't think they don't count. They do.

So far on this trip I have had three of these unique opportunities. Each one results in an email connection and follow-up. That follow-up is part of my work. I am still in touch with students I met five years ago.