Friday, October 30, 2009

A Great Kid

When I first came to live with Jiajing's parents I met this young boy who lives several floors below us, but off another stairway, who is learning English and enjoys getting help from me.


His mother loves plants and has many of them growing in pots on the walkway outside her apartment. They sure add warmth to an otherwise cold concrete appearance.


The other day I was walking in from the street and met this boy and a friend in the entrance area of where I live.


As soon as he saw me a big smile broke out on his face and he said, "Hi Stephen." I responded and he then said, "This is my friend." I responded and then he said, "Good bye." Short and simple, but there was more that took place. There was this elderly Chinese lady that the boys had just passed and when the boy spoke to me in English the elderly lady screeched to a stop - actually there was no screeching because she was barely creeping along - and turned around and watched. My encounter with the boys created this big smile on her face. I think that was the event of the day for her. The boys and I continued on and she kind of stood there thinking about what happened. Life is changing and she sees and hears Chinese people speaking English with foreigners. In China, English is a required second language that you learn well.

Last night the phone rang and Jiajing's mom answered it and was informed that the boy - he has no English name yet - was on his way up to see me to practice his English lessons. She hangs up and the alarm sounds to unlock the gate downstairs so he can get into our stairway. In a few minutes he has climbed the stairs and is at the door. When he comes it is not only a lesson for him, but also for Jiajing's mom. She also practices saying the words and he explains the meaning to her in Chinese. We have a great time together, but I have learned that I have to be willing to be available at any time. While I live here time is theirs, not mine. That way we have a good time together and get along well.