Wednesday, April 8, 2009

We Need Doors

Only eight more days and I will be on my way to China. It will be hard to leave this project because of all the work required to pack up my tools and clean up the garage, which has been my shop and then when I get back from China I will need to get set up and figure out where I left off.

The gardens have been a problem this year as we keep getting frost. The last two nights it has been cold requiring us to cover up the garden. Last night it got so cold that I lost some of the garden anyway. That becomes kind of discouraging. It is even harder for the farmers who lose so much more when it freezes so late in the season.

It is Tuesday as I write this. I spent the morning uncovering the garden and doing some garden cultivating. This afternoon I decided to cut out the materials for the frames for the doors for the wall cabinets. There are nine doors that are the same height so I will build them all at the same time. The following picture shows the pieces cut to length for the door frames.

The long pieces are for the sides and the short pieces are the top and bottom pieces. Inside the frame will go a plywood panel, which will require cutting out a grove for it. The next picture shows the same pieces after doing several cutting steps on the table saw.

The tongue on end of the short pieces will fit into the same grove as the plywood. It makes for a very solid construction. As you can see I did much cutting and using a good table saw one can do very accurate work.

I had time to assemble several frames, seen in the above picture. On this step I glue two short pieces to one long piece. I will glue the other side after I insert the plywood panel. I can't insert the panel at this time because I have to use my router to create a design on the edge of the door face. After I run the router - which is 45 years old and still runs - around the inside of the frame I set it aside and do the next one. I plan to finish this step tomorrow and start cutting out the panels. I will then insert the panel and glue the other two joints. I will not glue the panel as it will expand and shrink at a different rate than the frame. If you glue it, it will eventually break the frame or twist the door. There are more steps to do on the door, but I will leave that for a later entry after I do them.