Sunday, April 26, 2009

This Is Fun

At the end of the pedestrian walk where I started I saw this lady making clothes with her sewing machine. I remember my mother having one like this about 60 years ago. What a contrast this is to the computerized ones that are available. In the given setting the one shown in the picture is not out of place.

At the other end of the walk I spotted this little Chinese girl - they seen to capture my heart - playing at the fountain. I couldn't resist taking some pictures.

I just got to touch that!

That was cool! At this point two older teens saw what I was doing and thought they could get into the act also and came over to act like the little girl, looking at me all the time. I just ignored them and focused on the innocents and fun of a little girl. They realized I wasn't going to take their bait and left a bit disappointed.

Her mother noticed what I was doing and seemed to enjoy the fact that her daughter was the focus of my camera. She smiled and fixed her daughters hair and wandered off.

I can spend hours here at the mall entrance watching people and listening to Chinese music being played over the sound system. It reminds me of the IBM conferences I used to go to where there was background music and people and slow activity all around. Being here in China at this location, absorbing the environment, and praying for these people without hope, caused me to have to wipe away a few tears. The little girl having a great time will spend an eternity where? Will someone share the gospel with her in her heart language and will she understand and accept? When I come to China a scene like this causes me to slow down and think about what life is all about.

This little girl looks at me and thinks, "Who is going to tell me?"