Monday, April 13, 2009

Transition

It is Easter Sunday and I have returned from the first of four Easter services at church. Connie and our granddaughter, Maranda, are in the kitchen busy at work getting the food ready for a great meal when family and friends gather here in a short while. We will have a house full and will enjoy a great time together around a great meal. Later this week I will be able to enjoy some great Chinese food with some dear Chinese friends.

Friday and Saturday were very busy work days as I prepared to leave the kitchen project and get ready to leave for China. I realized Friday night that I couldn't get as much done as I had planned. I knew I could not finish the doors and still do other things that had to be done before the rains came Saturday night. Because of the depth of my tiredness I knew I needed to show down and rest and get ready for the long hard trip ahead.

Saturday morning I finished up some painting in the upstairs kitchen and moved any tools that were there down to the shop. In the shop I finished up the table top and took it upstairs and put it on top of the table legs. I will fasten it down after I put the laminate on it.

I placed the nine doors in the area where the refrigerator goes, where they can wait patiently there until I return from China. They need one more coat of paint and then I will install them.

Notice that I still haven't built the one base cabinet. I now have the materials but no time. Later I will have both and will finish the building process. There is still much to do, but much has been accomplished and done with great satisfaction. God blessed me with the ability to design and build things and as a result I really enjoy doing things like this.

Now that the kitchen was cleaned up it was time to focus on cleaning up the shop and allowing it to become a garage again. I needed to pick up all the tools and put them in my tool trailer. Someday I would like to build a nice work table with storage under it for my tools. It would be modular so when I pass on someone else could take it apart and easily move it. After getting things picked up I got the tractor and mowed the lawn around our home. I then removed the mower deck and hitched up the tiller to do some work in the garden before the rains came. After doing that it was back to the garage to remove the tiller and put the mower deck back under the tractor. Connie and I then swept the garage and put things in their place so that there would be room for the cars. With everything in their place the garage is full. I think Americans have too much, but it does allow me to build many things.

My focus is now to clean up my office and gather things for my trip. I will be getting up at three Wednesday morning and hope to lay down to sleep Thursday evening at the home of Jiajing's parents. Any other sleep will be on an airplane. It is a long tiring trip and I need to prepare for it. I will write one more entry from the US and then the one on Friday will be from China. At least those are my plans.