Friday, April 17, 2009

In China

Monday and Tuesday were not easy days. They were busy days in which not everything got done, but I managed to get packed and set the alarm to go off at three Wednesday morning.

I rolled over to see what time it was and was surprised to see 2:59 on the clock. I turned off the alarm before it could go off and waited for 3:00 to show - short wait - and got up.

Monday and Tuesday nights were not good nights for sleep as much was going on in my mind about situations at home and what to expect on this trip. There were many mixed feelings and with some future events in the unknown column it left an uneasy feeling.

A good friend stopped by at four and picked me up and took me to the airport. At that time in the morning check in was easy and soon I was on my way to Chicago. It was a good flight; on time and smooth. For me it was a very difficult time. I was very tired and emotionally depressed and found myself really struggling to settle down. As we traveled I soon got sleepy and went to sleep. By the time we arrived at Chicago I was feeling much better, but still struggling with some thoughts.

The flight plan for the trip from Chicago to Shanghai took us just south of the North Pole and down to the west of Siberia and the eastern part of Inner Mongolia. Except for the hour before landing as the meal was being served, the flight was very smooth. The strong turbulence made it interesting to eat. As we finished our meal the ride smoothed out and we soon landed. So far I have had four meals today.

The last leg, the flight from Shanghai to Wuhan, was on time and filled to capacity. I was in the first row of coach, in the left aisle seat as viewed from the back. As we were being pushed away from the gate I fell asleep only to be disturbed at meal time. I refused my meal and went back to sleep and woke up as we touched down in Wuhan.

In Shanghai my bags were the last ones to reach baggage claim, but here in Wuhan they were first. I picked them up and headed for the exit, hopping to see Jiajing's parents waiting for me. As I passed the baggage check guard I saw them waving at me. They looked so excited and in her arms she was holding this beautiful bouquet of flowers. I needed to make a cultural adjustment and also look beyond my allergy to roses and embrace this as the gesture of welcome and love that it was. I truly felt like I was a grandparent coming home for a visit. It was a special time. I felt the same as if I were going to visit members of my family. It is a special relationship in that it opens a door of opportunity to enter the Chinese culture in ways that many others can't.

As we drove home we began our special kind of conversation we are developing between people who don't speak each other's language. We are learning to say more and more with only a few English words and hand movement. It helps me understand the importance of the Bible being in the heart language of the one reading it. It also helps me understand how difficult it is for two people to be close when they don't speak the same love language. Time and desire is required to learn the other's language if communication is to be effective.

On the way home I was asked if I was hungry. I figured that Jiajing's parents came from work to the airport without eating and they would be hungry as it was shortly after the evening meal. That was my main reason for not eating on the airplane. In Wuhan, near Jiajing's home, we stopped at a friend's restaurant and had one of my favorite meals. I believe they are called dumplings. They are made from a two inch circle of pastry, which is formed into a sack shape. A ball of ground meat or other fillings are added along with a soup mixture. The top is then pinched together and bite sized piece of food is steamed. They are served as set of 12, I think. We pick them up with our chopsticks and place them in a brown solution, each person has, and using a spoon pour some of the solution over the dumpling. We then place it on the spoon and then into our mouth. We use the spoon to keep the juices with the dumpling. They are so good and being only about a five minute walk from where I live, I will go there as often as I can.

We ate and went home. I unpacked and we all went to bed after a long day. For me it was a very, very long day and as I write this I am thinking about a nap. It is 9:30 in the morning and my body is telling me it is time to go to bed as there is a eleven hour time difference.