Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Neighborhood – 1

I thought I would show you where I live now. The picture below was taken from the top of the Yellow Crane Tower. If you draw a line from bottom center of the picture across the middle of the bigger blue roof and then just to the right of the taller building you will be at the street I live on.


I now live in an older section of the city where there is rich culture. The pictures I am going to show you are of building that have been there for a very long time. All around us are new developments and in time it may reach us here. As you look at the external of the buildings I want to remind you not to judge the book by its cover. The cover may be dirty and beat up, but the story inside may be rich and exciting.


When I first walked into their apartment I felt drawn to it as a place I could enjoy living. It was warm and attractive; a place to be proud of. But in several blog entries I want to look at the outside that has weathered many years of life and clearly shows its age. It is the great grandpa part of the city and has the culture to go with it.



The picture above is what I see when I come down the back stairs. It shows many years of living. The stairs don’t go all the way to street level. The first floor, where the stores are located, is deeper and so we come down to the top of it and walk a ways to a single flight of stairs to go down to street level. The stretch of green in the picture below is the top of the first floor.



Just beyond the bikes is where the stairs end. We then exit out through the narrow area to a passage way to the street.



A clearer view of our exit is shown below.



Tomorrow we will go out to the street.