Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Be Flexible

Another Tuesday is here already and I am off to teach my class. It is the last of twelve lessons from the book of James. I have one more lesson to teach before I leave for the states. That one will be on love. We will consider the eight characteristics of love given in Galatians 5:22 – 23 and the 15 qualities of love from 1 Corinthians 13. We will finish the lesson by considering the five love languages as a way to express love to another and to feel loved by others.

Class went very well today. It was one of the better ones when everything seemed to connect. It was on prayer and some ideas were presented that caused them to think. In fact after break time several wanted to give testimony concerning what they had learned and what it meant to them. Joy let several speak and then we returned to the lesson and finished right at eleven.

After class I decided to walk home because I wanted to investigate some areas between the church and the apartment. I looked and walked and had a great time learning about the culture, arriving at the foot of the stairs at noon. Just as I was to start up the first flight, which is separate from the second flight, I met Jiajing’s mom coming down. She stopped me and communicated that she wanted me to take off my backpack and leave it here with a friend who lives in a room at the bottom of the stairs. I have been through this before so I knew what to expect. We leave the backpack with the friend and she tells me to wait there. She heads back up the stairs to fetch a friend of hers.

My plans were to come home from class and eat a sandwich and some fruit, but she had other plans. She and her friend wanted me to go to lunch with them. We walked less than a mile to a nice little restaurant – I have been there several times before – for a nice simple Chinese meal of fish and veggies. It was a beautiful day to walk and I enjoyed watching these two ladies relate. You could tell they were good friends and had a good view of life. I could feel their friendship and even had some conversation with them. I enjoyed the meal and the time with them very much. In spite of the language barrier I am learning how to become part of these friendships. I believe it is something the Lord is developing within me and it excites me when I have a chance to experience it.

My bread is getting stale, but what price can you put on a time of fellowship like we had today. It is times like this that adds warmth to harsher living conditions. I would gladly live with less and enjoy the warmth of human relations like I experience here. These people have something we Americans are giving up to our busy schedules and appetite for things. When you get to the end of life and you look back, what do you want to have memories of? I will not soon forget what I have learned and will learn from these Chinese people. Thank you for many wonderful memories.