It was Monday and I had just returned to Jiajing’s parent’s apartment from my apartment with about 80 pounds of luggage. In my backpack was all my equipment for my teaching assignment at HUST that morning. I had also packed in other things that I might need, like water, umbrella, sweater, etc. It weighted all of 40 pounds. At my apartment I packed my medium sized suitcase with my printer and two speakers plus about four large towels for padding. I really had to work to get it closed. From experience I know it would have been over weight at the airport.
I took the bus because I get on at its last stop and get off at its first stop – I am sure you understand. When I got off at my last stop, which is the starting point for the bus line, I headed down the street carrying my backpack and dragging my suitcase behind me. I turned into the alley to the apartment and came to my first flight of stairs. From past experience I know I can manage that flight by simply picking up the suitcase and climbing up the stairs, one stair at a time of course. At the half way point there is a landing to allow the stairs to do a 180. As I start up the last half of stairs this thin middle aged lady started to come down, but she soon realized that she was not going to pass me with me carrying my suitcase so she waited for me to climb to the top. At the top we recognized each other because I had helped her son with his English several weeks ago.
She looked at me and my load and knew that I was headed to the seventh floor at the next set of stairs. She grabbed my suitcase from me and off we went. At the bottom of the stairs is a security gate. She pushes the button to the apartment where I am going, but I knew there was nobody there. I took out my key, to her surprise, and open the gate. I walk in and she drags in the suitcase. I was not going to have her try to carry the suitcase up, so with hand language I quickly got her to understand that I wanted her to stand guard over my suitcase while I carried my backpack up to the apartment and then I would return for my suitcase.
When I returned for my suitcase there was no way she was going to let me carry it up alone. I had the suitcase by the handle and was ready for the stairs, but she had other ideas. She gets on the other side of the suitcase and also grabs the handle and divided the load between us. This small woman was one tough gal and very shortly I realized that she was a woman of endurance. Six flights of stairs carrying half the load didn’t slow her down at all. At the top I take out my key and unlock the door and tell her in Chinese, “Thank you.” She then said back in Chinese, “No thanks needed.”
She was indeed my helper. It was such a joy to be yoked together with her to carry my load. I look forward to getting to know her and her son in the days ahead. Maybe next spring, if I am able to return, I can develop a relationship with her son helping with his English.
I took the bus because I get on at its last stop and get off at its first stop – I am sure you understand. When I got off at my last stop, which is the starting point for the bus line, I headed down the street carrying my backpack and dragging my suitcase behind me. I turned into the alley to the apartment and came to my first flight of stairs. From past experience I know I can manage that flight by simply picking up the suitcase and climbing up the stairs, one stair at a time of course. At the half way point there is a landing to allow the stairs to do a 180. As I start up the last half of stairs this thin middle aged lady started to come down, but she soon realized that she was not going to pass me with me carrying my suitcase so she waited for me to climb to the top. At the top we recognized each other because I had helped her son with his English several weeks ago.
She looked at me and my load and knew that I was headed to the seventh floor at the next set of stairs. She grabbed my suitcase from me and off we went. At the bottom of the stairs is a security gate. She pushes the button to the apartment where I am going, but I knew there was nobody there. I took out my key, to her surprise, and open the gate. I walk in and she drags in the suitcase. I was not going to have her try to carry the suitcase up, so with hand language I quickly got her to understand that I wanted her to stand guard over my suitcase while I carried my backpack up to the apartment and then I would return for my suitcase.
When I returned for my suitcase there was no way she was going to let me carry it up alone. I had the suitcase by the handle and was ready for the stairs, but she had other ideas. She gets on the other side of the suitcase and also grabs the handle and divided the load between us. This small woman was one tough gal and very shortly I realized that she was a woman of endurance. Six flights of stairs carrying half the load didn’t slow her down at all. At the top I take out my key and unlock the door and tell her in Chinese, “Thank you.” She then said back in Chinese, “No thanks needed.”
She was indeed my helper. It was such a joy to be yoked together with her to carry my load. I look forward to getting to know her and her son in the days ahead. Maybe next spring, if I am able to return, I can develop a relationship with her son helping with his English.
