For several weekends I have been staying with Jiajing’s parents, gaining experience with living there. This past weekend extended into the week as we came to the decision that I would move from my apartment and get established here before returning to the states. Currently I am subleasing from another person who holds a lease on two apartments. He will renegotiate the lease while I am in the states and if he decides to not renew it then I would be without an apartment and would have to have someone look for one for me and move my things. I don’t feel comfortable with those arrangements or entering into another lease agreement. Since Jiajing is in the states, her room is not being used and is large enough for the things I would like to keep for awhile longer. It was her parent’s idea and invitation that I live with them.
It was not an easy decision to make. One does not take lightly the idea of moving into a home of a different culture that does not speak your language. We felt we needed to gain some experience before making the decision. It has turned out to be a good experience for all of us according to Jiajing. I have come to feel at home and very comfortable in Jiajing’s room. The living arrangements have resulted in a relaxed environment.
I was going to move on Friday, but it was decided to move it up to Thursday if it didn’t rain. Well it rained, but the forecast for Friday was also rain so we decided to go for it on Thursday. As I write this Friday morning it looks like a pretty nice day.
As shown in the picture below, I got all my things in the corner of one room of my apartment so that we could quickly move them from the room to the area near the elevator. Then using the elevator, of course, we moved the things down to the first floor lobby. Then, from the first floor lobby, it was a short carry to the truck.

Once we got the truck loaded– and it was full – we headed across town to put some of my things into a storage room on the first floor below their apartment and move the rest up seven flights of stairs. Currently the twin beds are in Jiajing’s room and the wardrobe cabinet is in the storage room. Plans are to set up the twin beds today and see where we might place the wardrobe cabinet.
I am still learning and making adjustments as I live here. The next adjustment is for me to work in breakfast and lunch for myself. That is the next important item of business for me. I definitely don’t want them to feel responsible for all of my meals. Finding the right balance is important for all of us.
It was not an easy decision to make. One does not take lightly the idea of moving into a home of a different culture that does not speak your language. We felt we needed to gain some experience before making the decision. It has turned out to be a good experience for all of us according to Jiajing. I have come to feel at home and very comfortable in Jiajing’s room. The living arrangements have resulted in a relaxed environment.
I was going to move on Friday, but it was decided to move it up to Thursday if it didn’t rain. Well it rained, but the forecast for Friday was also rain so we decided to go for it on Thursday. As I write this Friday morning it looks like a pretty nice day.
As shown in the picture below, I got all my things in the corner of one room of my apartment so that we could quickly move them from the room to the area near the elevator. Then using the elevator, of course, we moved the things down to the first floor lobby. Then, from the first floor lobby, it was a short carry to the truck.

Once we got the truck loaded– and it was full – we headed across town to put some of my things into a storage room on the first floor below their apartment and move the rest up seven flights of stairs. Currently the twin beds are in Jiajing’s room and the wardrobe cabinet is in the storage room. Plans are to set up the twin beds today and see where we might place the wardrobe cabinet.
I am still learning and making adjustments as I live here. The next adjustment is for me to work in breakfast and lunch for myself. That is the next important item of business for me. I definitely don’t want them to feel responsible for all of my meals. Finding the right balance is important for all of us.
