Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Special Saturday

This entry is longer than usual and contains no pretty pictures and some of you may not have the time to read it. I include it because it is a sample of what a day can be like here in the field. This took place one week ago.

Since Jiajing’s parents would be away today, I decided to use this opportunity to go across town to the far south side to the Aloha Diner for lunch and then back to the center of the city, to across bridge #1 and then to the far east side of the city to Gianos for supper. I left on my adventure around 10:30, after spending the early part of the morning working on the Bible lesson I would teach the following week. As I walked toward my bus stop I took my Father’s hand by asking him to guide my travel connections, bring people across my path he wanted me to talk with, and if he wanted to talk through me to some students at the coffee shop to let me know.

I got to the bus stop and caught the 542 bus that goes across bridge #1 to Hankou, got off at the fifth stop beyond the bridge, and walked across the foot bridge to the other side of the street to catch the 208 bus. I was about ten seconds too slow and missed the bus. That didn’t concern me because I sensed Father wanted to get on the next 208. In about ten minutes it arrived and we got on and sat down in the second row from the back. After about eight stops and American looking couple in their late forties got on and sat down in the middle of the back row. I immediately turned around and asked if they were English speakers and learned that they were and that they were from a northern American state. I learned that they were there to open a second coffee shop. We exchanged contact information and discussed getting together for a longer conversation. Father knew which bus they would be on.

I got off at the Aloha, received a big welcome back, ordered lunch, and sat back and relaxed. Near the end of my meal the owner came to my table to talk with me and told me to eat slowly to allow time for his wife to arrive so I could also talk with her. I had finished my food and got my drink refilled and as I enjoyed it an American looking couple in their thirties walked in. As they did I had this strange feeling that her name was Anna, who I had met one day three years ago when she came to China as a single on a short term mission trip with her church. Lisa was part of that group as were two other couples, all of whom are now serving full time in China. I got up the nerve to walk over to their table and I asked if her name was Anna. She looked at me with surprise and said, “Are you Steve?” At that moment the wife of the owner came in and noticed us and came over to talk for a short while. After she left I talked for awhile with Anna and her husband to learn what they were up to. We shared contact information so we could make arrangements to also meet at a later time.

Back out to the bus stop to catch a 596, which will take me – the Father and me – back to the center of the city and across the river at bridge #1 and then toward the coffee shop and Gianos. The 596 did not go all the way so I needed to get off before it turned off the main road. At a particular point I felt Father guiding me out of my seat and off the bus. As I stepped off the bus I looked to my right to be sure I wouldn’t get run over by a scooter and noticed a 521 bus unloading just behind us. I hurried to it and got on as he was closing the door. That was the bus I needed.

After getting off the 521, I had a short walk to the coffee shop where I found a group of students at a table waiting for an English speaker to have conversation with. I sat down and after we talked about two hours, three of the young ladies left to get a bite to eat. As they left another young lady joined the two fellows that were still at the table. In a few minutes two more young ladies joined. At that point the first young lady asked if I was a Christian. I told her I was and asked why she thought I might be. She said she could see it in my eyes and she could feel it by being with me. She expressed herself using words of joy, peace, gentleness and kindness. I quickly explained to her that as a Christian, God lived within me and since he was love, what she was feeling was his love as experienced by those characteristics she mentioned. These are the opportunities I pray for; natural, powerful witnessing events. They are the kind that prepares much good soil for later seed planting by the Holy Spirit.

It was now time for me to eat supper so I excused myself and went next door to Gianos for simple meal. I sat down and ordered a sandwich and as it was brought to my table, Jane, the owner, noticed me and came over and sat down and talked with me while I ate. Later as I left I asked Father to please bring my conversation with Jane around to spiritual things. I have learned to let God be in control and guide me in starting such conversation. That method bears fruit, which I know from experience. The western approach is to come in running, hit them hard, and keep on running. Three years ago a westerner came to one of my Bible studies and applied pressure to one of my students and deeply hurt her. That hurt was so great that she says it is still a barrier between her and God. People in the west don’t seem to understand the importance of preparing the soil first. When the soil is ready, God will plant his seed and then you have the responsibility to help the new creature in Christ grow.

Back on the 521 for an hour and a half trip tonight home where I found Zuhua had come home early from her business trip and had done my laundry and hung it out to dry. We talked for a few minutes and then I took a shower and went to bed, exhausted, thanking Father for a very special Saturday. I have learned that when I go out for a walk with him, hand in hand, I can expect a special time.















No comments: