Four
years ago I met Julia. I saw her come into the coffee shop one day and take a
seat alone by the window. I felt led to approach her and invite her to join my
little group for conversation, which she did. For the next four months I saw
her nearly every day and during that time God used me to help her through an
extremely difficult time in her life. During the next year she met and fell in
love with Eric, who was from America and was teaching English here in Wuhan.
Julia soon graduated and took a job in another city. Eric changed jobs to
follow her and after an appropriate amount of time they were engaged and then
married.
Because
of the amount of conversation and counseling time we had, we became very close
friends and established a grandfather to granddaughter relationship. In China
these are more than just titles; they are terms that relate to behavior and
respect. They are terms that define family and the kind of behavior expected
between family members; it places boundaries on your behavior. It gives the
older one a place of honor and allows the younger to show respect. To this day,
whenever she calls me grandpa, it deeply warms my heart. She never calls me
anything else because to her I am her grandpa.
Today
as I write this it is Sunday, October 17, 2010. I went to church, as I normally
do Sunday mornings, and as I prayed at the start of the morning service, I
asked Father to show me his hand today and do something special. In just a few
minutes someone slipped up behind me and touched me and quietly said,
“Grandpa.” I had not seen or spoken to her for two years, but I immediately knew
who it was by the way she said, “Grandpa.” It was Julia with her son. I slid
over and they slipped in.
She
had taken the overnight train and traveled for twelve hours to get here. She figured
I would be in Wuhan and she hoped I would be in church. As she undid her body,
baby carrier, her first words were to her son. She said, “This is your great
grandpa.” After church we talked about that and she told me I was family and
always would be. It is clear that I do have a growing Chinese family that is as
real to me as my own family in America. Once you are finally accepted as a
member you are treated as, and you feel like, a true family member. This is part
of what compels me to continue to return to China; to return to visit with that
part of my family that lives here.
After
church I got a picture of them and she insisted a picture be taken of the three
of us that I could send to her as a family picture.
Father
answered my prayer real quick and in a way I never expected.
PS
– I am learning to call her Lingling; her Chinese name.

1 comment:
I miss her, it's good to see her Mr cute !
Minnie
Post a Comment