Thursday, October 7, 2010

Off To Hankou We Go

I had spent most of Saturday cleaning out my email inbox. Because of all the time spent on those projects in the US, my inbox was in desperate need of some attention. Around four PM, Zuhua walks into my room and suggest that we go to Hankou to do some shopping and then have supper there. Going with her over there will be an adventure. I know that from past experience.

Zuhua wanted to get a voltage converter for her electric toothbrush and a new phone for the landline. Since the electronics section of Hankou is within walking distance of the ferry landing, we took the ferry across. As we pulled away from the landing, I could see from the water marks how high the river got. Another few feet and sandbags would have been needed to block the passage ways. I will get a picture and include it in my high water blog entry.

Both floors of the ferry were packed with people standing together like we were on a full buss. Because of holiday traffic, there were at least three times as many people as I see on a normal day. Once we got off in Hankou we found people everywhere. You were in constant contact with people as you pushed through the crowds. The streets were so crowded you actually rubbed the cars and busses as the crowds pushed their way across the streets. We walked down one way street that was a parking lot. If you wanted to get out of your car you couldn’t because you couldn’t open the doors. If there was any space between cars you would find it filled with something like a scooter and probably trying to go in the other direction. The sidewalks were filled people and scooters and sometimes cars going in both directions. If you can’t learn to accept this as normal, you will go nuts here.

Zuhua found here items and we headed toward the business walk where we would find a place to eat. We had a simple, but delicious meal. We continued down the business walk, which was wall to wall with people. Since I was taller than most all I could see was a forty foot wide river of black hair slowly moving between the buildings forming the sides. It was an experience I wish I could have captured with my camera, but I left it home.

For me those trips to Hankou become a prayer walk. What a mass of humanity, walking to and fro, without hope. They enter life in spiritual darkness, struggle for a few years, and head for eternal destruction. How my heart aches for them that they would find the peace and joy that God has to offer them in Jesus Christ. Who is your heart burdened for or are you like them, just walking through life? Take a look at Philippians 2:3 – 4 and see how you measure up.

Back on the ferry and back home for a shower and to bed for some sleep.

No comments: