Apparently
the building being built next to where I live is not very high on the priority
scale. In the spring they were busy putting down piers and at the rate they
were going I assumed they would at least have the first floor poured, but they
didn’t. In fact they had another machine on sight that was literally pushing
twelve inch concrete piers at least forty feet, maybe further, into the ground.
That job is now done, the machine is gone and a whole pile of used lumber to be
used for forms has arrived. Hopefully, before I leave this fall there will be
something above ground to show you.
For
those readers who have a construction interest I thought I would show you some
shots of the machine. I wish I had gotten better pictures but I just didn’t
seem to be in the right place at the right time.
When
I left in the spring they were in the process of uncovering the big piers at
the edge of the building and preparing them for the beam to be poured on top of
them. It must have taken them all summer to uncover all of them and prepare
them.
When
I came back this fall I found this large very heavy machine on the building
site. There sure are a lot of steel weights hanging on its sides.
Underneath
it are four rectangular feet that allow it to crawl around and level itself. In
each foot are hydraulic cylinders to move the machine back and forth on its
foot. Using the feet in proper sequence, the machine can move all over the
site. On the end is the hydraulic press that can be moved the length of the
machine. The concrete pier is griped in a vise as the two hydraulic cylinders
force the vice and thus the pier into the ground. It really is quite an
operation and has left me wondering why all these small piers.
The
above picture is a shot of the machine viewed from the side.
Machines
built by man don’t last as long as things made by God. One of the hydraulic
cylinders assemblies had to be taken off and repaired.
One
or two pushes into the earth and another pier section would be added.

No comments:
Post a Comment