“Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect results, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing” (James 1:2 – 4, NASB). We learn from Romans 5:4 that the perfect and complete is the development of our Christ-like character.
I have had at least three opportunities to learn about this truth so far on this trip. As you know from earlier blog entries, my entry into China was very difficult this time do to a number of personal factors. Because of much rain, my Internet connection has not been good lately; in fact it has not existed for the last several days. Then there was the bad food I ate the other night that really sucked the fluids and strength out of me through the sickness it caused. Am I to see these trials as misfortunate happenings or as positive opportunities?
Joy is an aspect of God’s love and is dependent on his character, not on our circumstances. If we maintain a proper relationship and focus on God, joy should be constant or growing in our lives. Part of our prayer during a trial is that our joy would stay constant and if it does this becomes a powerful witness to the unbeliever who doesn’t have access to this joy during their trials.
Another part of our prayer would be to ask God to use the trial as an opportunity for Christ-like character development. Let me ask you a question. Is growth in Christ-like character or comfort more important in your eternal relationship with God? When I listen to prayer request it seems that comfort wins out; might that be a reason why Christians don’t seem to be much different than people in the world. Are we actually praying against our spiritual growth by asking God to remove a trial from us before God can use it to grow our character? Jesus is a model for us in this. In the garden he prays, “Abba! Father! All things are possible for Thee; remove this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what Thou wilt” (Mark 14:36, NASB).
How then might we pray? Jesus did ask that the cup be removed thus sparing him from the intense suffering that was to come upon him. If he had stopped there and God had answered his prayer, we would still be dead in our sins, without hope. But Jesus continues with his simple prayer and said, “Not what I will, but what Thou wilt.” God was going to use the suffering Jesus was going to go through to provide a way of salvation for us. What might be God’s will for each trial we face? Are we willing to endure the trial with joy for as long as it takes God to do his work? For some this has proven to be a lifetime.
Let us be very careful when we make prayer request. Might God use your trial to improve an area of your character, to make you more like Jesus? Does he want to develop his love within you so that when you are in the presence of others, especially unbelievers, they can see and feel the characteristics of joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control and be drawn toward the Father?
I had a message to deliver in the midst of my food poisoning. It was not God’s will to heal me then. He did maintain my level of joy and used my trial as a meaningful lesson at church that morning. As Joy and I taught for 40 minutes the gathering of seniors knew I was suffering, but the joy I had spoke more powerfully than did my words. As soon as I finished I struggled to get home, quickly visited the restroom and collapsed into bed very satisfied that God had answered my prayer and done his will. I knew healing would follow shortly, which it did. I truly benefitted from this trial. Do not misjudge the value of trials! Remember, with God spiritual growth and a relationship with him is so much better than our comfort. I thank God for my opportunity to live in China to learn this.

No comments:
Post a Comment