Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What a Day!

I was just finishing an email to a Chinese student answering some questions about culture when this strong desire came over me to travel by bus across the river to the far side of the city to a very cool Hawaiian restaurant known as the Aloha Diner. It was about 10:30 and if I had no travel problems I should be there around noon. I grabbed my handy bus chart I made up and headed to the bus stop at the end of my street. My chart indicated I should take bus 542 to find bus 208, 596, or 708 to the diner.

My handy bus chart showed me they all met at location NJQ, but I had forgotten the actual location of NJQ. I thought I knew where it was, but when I got off I learned it was the wrong stop. I walked to the next stop and found it was still wrong. I walked to the next and still no luck, but I came to a major road that I thought would have busses going to where I wanted to go. I walk down the street about a mile to find a bus stop and check the numbers there. No luck, but then out of the corner of my eye – did you know that eyes have corners – I saw the door of bus 208 close and it left; 208 that is my bus. I waited for the next bus and finally arrived for lunch at one instead of noon; a two and a half trip.

I ordered lunch and as I waited I had a great conversation with the owner. The meal came, which I really enjoyed. The waitress asked if I wanted some dessert. I said no, but she delayed in bringing my bill. In the meantime the owner asked her some details for making a milkshake. They talked and I listened and then I asked how much. The two waitresses and the owner went to work on my milkshake, as you can see in the picture below. We all had so much fun. There was some left that wouldn’t fit into my glass, so the owner sat at the counter and enjoyed the end of my milkshake. We talked and laughed and time went by so quickly.


Back on the 208 to the 542 and finally back home. Total time for that lunch was exactly five hours. How is that for a lunch break? I climbed the stairs and went to my room and buzzer sounded, indicating someone calling from the gate downstairs. I answered and learned that Charles and a friend were downstairs, hoping to find me home. They came up and we got involved in a great conversation. Jiajing’s mom knew they were coming and called Charles to ask them to stay for dinner, which she would prepare. Instead, I insisted we would go out at my expense. She was not going to slave over a meal for us guys.

We went to this cool place and stuffed ourselves with ten plates of meat and then came the potatoes and a leafy veggie. The pot is filled with seasoned water and some veggies for seasoning. We add the food to cook as we eat it. The temperature is controlled by the cover on top of the chimney. After we are finished eating and are stuffed, we then take a small bowl and spoon out the water. It is now the most delicious soup you can imagine.

We talked in both Chinese and English and had a most marvelous time. I think mom really enjoyed the time out with the boys. During our conversation we talked about another restaurant, which was nearby, and decided to walk there. We walked and talked and felt so close to each other. At the restaurant they pointed out a menu item to me so I could come back later and order it. We then went to another restaurant and did the same thing. From there we walked to the bus stop for the young men to catch a bus back to the university. Jiajing’s mom and I walked toward home. Along the way she stopped to exercise with some ladies and I continued home and went to bed.

It was a great day and a door was opened for another time together with Charles and more of his friends. Conversations over a slow meal, a lingering walk in the park, all lead to deeper conversations. Some things require time to produce good fruit. Patience is a characteristic of God’s love, along with kindness, gentleness and goodness. The real work lies with God.

No comments: