It was Saturday morning, May 22, about 10:30 and I needed some material for future blog entries. Outside it was a heavy overcast and even the air was cool and heavy. It was the kind of weather you would expect a month ago. With all the rain we have been having the river was at the highest level that I have seen. Even though it definitely not picture taking weather, I still grabbed my camera and headed to the street below. Something inside me knew where I was going, so I went along.
As I came out of my alley I hung a right toward the river and walked toward the ferry landing. Reaching into my back pocket I grabbed my wallet and swiped it across the card reader on the turnstile and walked through and on down the ramp to wait for the next ferry. Since it was so cool and damp with a bit of a breeze, there was not the usual crowd headed across to the Hankou side. Out on the river the strong north breeze made one shiver.

Approaching the Hankou ferry landing takes the shape of the letter “J” as you lie on the river bed and look up, because we are traveling downstream and docking on the left side of the river; right side of the boat or the starboard side. –Start at the top of the “J” and see if you can figure it out. – You must dock going upstream.
From the ferry I walked to the riverside park to take some pictures of the water level. The following picture was taken at this time.
When I was here last fall the river was much lower, as shown below.

A view looking the other way, last fall, shows how low the river was.

The weather was not very nice to be out in the park so I headed back to the ferry landing for my ride back, but I didn’t ride the ferry; and I didn’t swim either. You will have to check in next time to see how I got across.

No comments:
Post a Comment