Thursday, May 20, 2010

Green and Round

I am a graduate of Michigan State University and have a nice green jacket. Should I wear it in China? Deer & Co is the world’s number one producer of farm equipment. They paint their equipment green. Will that green paint hinder their sales in China? Their engine hoods are not flat but curved. Will that hinder sales in India?

According to an article I read in a New Delhi newspaper, green is a very bad color in China because it is associated with adultery. The article suggested that if a man wore a green hat it could signal that his wife had cheated on him. In India, most tractors run 24 hours a day, but only do farm work about a third of the time. The rest of the time they are used for transportation and a flat square hood allows more people to sit down for a ride.

It appears then that green might be a bad color for a tractor in China and a tractor with a curved hood might not be a good choice in India and maybe I should leave my green jacket in America. Culture might make a difference on sales and on what you wear.

Having said the above, I went to church today and noticed three woman wearing green jackets. I wonder what message they were sending.

No comments: