As I traveled to India and back I was among so many people who were going here and there. As I watched them I felt they were going about life with no real direction. Each day was so much like the past and tomorrow will be like today. Each day brings them one day closer to that last day, but no progress has been made toward preparations for what comes after death. I talked to a person about that and their response was, “It is a step we will all go through, but I can’t be concerned about it now.” That response reminded me of a statement made by Jesus, “Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide, and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter by it. For the gate is small, and the way is narrow that leads to life, and few are those who find it” (Matt. 7:13 – 14, NASB).
As one walks the pathway of life it comes to a place where a choice must be made; is the path to the right or to the left the right choice. When I think about the wide gate and the broad pathway filled with travelers, I am reminded about all the young people here in China who walk the malls, the business walks, and the streets lined with stores. Their draw on young people is powerful and is communicating to them that life is about having more wealth so you can have more things. There is energy in these places of sound, color, glamour, beautifully attractive displays, milling crowds, and so much more. The broad pathway contains all the world has to offer and many people are so totally absorbed into it they don’t notice the signs along the way, or they choose to ignore them, and they continue to go from day to day on their way to destruction.
It is hard to describe the narrow way in practical terms because there is still so much of the world that is experienced along the way. It is like there are alleys that lead from the narrow pathway to the broad pathway and people keep slipping over to indulge for awhile, but as life goes on a true follower of Jesus Christ should be less tempted to spend time over there. This trip to India helped clarify this for me. Conversations all along the way were so meaningful and stimulating and far outweigh anything the world has to offer along the broad way. In one case it resulted in me being asked to board the plane ahead of everyone else. I have never before been the first one on a plane. It was a strange experience to walk through first class and business without anyone being there. Conversations in airports, on airplanes, in hotels, in taxis, at eating places; where ever there were people provided me with memories and a better understanding of what God has to offer along the narrow way. Along the narrow way that leads to life you will find that which God has to offer; the kindness of his grace. Along the broad way that that leads to destruction you will find that which the world has to offer; deceptions that lead to death.

No comments:
Post a Comment