On our way to and from the farm home that was featured in yesterday’s blog entry, was this nice farm land and their way of farming it. It is mainly vegetable farming and shows a big use of clear plastic and hand labor.
In the next shot you see two rows under plastic with a trench between for water. The plastic would hold in the moisture and prevent the weeds from growing up with the plants. Since the plastic is clear the weeds would still grow, but at least they are controlled underneath it.
Three sticks form a tepee for climbing plants.
Another general view of a field is seen in the next picture. All of this gives me some garden ideas for my garden I grow each year.
There was a building of old things. I had the opportunity to explain how the machine in the next picture is used to separate grain out from any debris that might be left. We had a separator on my dad’s farm that was a newer version of this that we used.
The grain passes through the screen on top into the funnel area. The seed then passes through a stream of air from the fan on the right, which blows away small non-seed debris allowing the seed to fall into the collection box below. This separator is the forerunner to our modern combines as the same concept is found in them.
I really enjoyed out trip to the farm. I wish I could go back and spend some time in the field with the workers to learn some of their techniques. It would be a very difficult adjustment to work with them, eat their food and then sleep in their old homes. I am sure I would come away with a different view of American life that we have so horribly abused. We deserve punishment from God because of our softness and greed.

No comments:
Post a Comment