Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Death

A comment made in an email received from one of my Chinese friends was, “Death is a step everyone must take, but I can’t take time to think about it now.” In the beginning God said if we disobey him we would experience death. Mankind disobeyed and death entered the universe and caused that which was originally created perfect to now be defective. Everything is broken. Our relationship with God is broken. Our relationship with others and even to self is broken. In fact, how we relate to the universe around us is also broken. The only thing that keeps the created universe from totally falling apart is that Jesus Christ holds all things together (Col.1:17).

Today as I was walking back from lunch, I stopped next to this narrow alley to my left. It was lined with food venders and was packed with people. I felt drawn to turn in and walk for awhile to have a look. Farther in the food venders thinned out and then were no more. It was now just living space stacked up on both sides with little alleys going back into more living space. I continued to walk in deeper and deeper, turning here and there and entered into a world that seemed out of the past. It was so far removed from anything I had ever experienced. It seemed so primitive; so devoid of things; so cold in appearance. There were no comforts here and then all of a sudden, I felt like I had entered the realm of death.

Eventually I found my way out, but I came out a different person. I headed toward the river and walked along it, deep in thought with Father, as I headed home. Father is God and is love. His Son is God and is the way, the truth and the life. In him we find life, not death; we find truth, not deception; we find the way to the incomprehensibleness of the kindness of the grace of God.

As I walked I felt Father’s love so deeply. It flooded my soul with such joy. Its peace stood guard over my heart and my mind. I felt so thankful for its kindness, goodness, faithfulness and gentleness. I thought of all that I had and would experience because I knew God. I thought of where I had just been and how I felt the claws of death all around me. I felt like I had walked through the valley of the shadow of death and my heart ached to abide deeper in God’s love. I was overwhelmed to think of the grip darkness had on these people; a great multitude passing through the wide gate, going down the broad road to destruction. Let’s not be surprised if God doesn’t have some of his own back in the depths of those alleys.

Before we look down on these people and how they live, may I remind you to look for a minute at you own heart. You may have better surroundings, but your life may be just as destitute as theirs. In fact, they may be better off than you because Americans are known to live for themselves; to achieve to the highest level possible. Here people gather into groups and each lives for the benefit of the group. I don’t believe an unconditioned American could go into the area where I was today and survive very long. It is the kind of life that only a few in America know anything about and when we come in to help we can easily make things worse. Each trip I make here and now in India, and grow in my understanding and develop a bond with these people, I find it increasingly difficult to return to my home in the states.

As I returned to my home here and started up the stairs to the seventh floor, I met an elderly couple laboring up to the floor where they live. As I passed them I thought of all the mechanical parts Americans have in their bodies and all the drugs they take and I wondered if the comfort and convenience they provide didn’t remove the suffering that was needed to grow into the likeness of Christ. I believe that in suffering your true characteristics are revealed and in suffering they are refined as gold is in the fire.

The walk back from lunch was quite a walk. Father and I had one marvelous time together. I sure enjoy being with him.