Saturday, May 16, 2009

What A Finish

God sure has a special way of doing things. As I was riding on the bus, trying to find my way back to the home where the large family lives to pick up my battery pack, my phone range and I was asked if I could spent some time tomorrow with Charles and some of his friends. Tomorrow would be my last day in China and I needed to pack and there was an event planned for that evening, but I felt I could squeeze them in. We planned to meet around ten the next morning at my place .

Morning came and my phone rang as I was having a video call with Jiajing. I answered my phone and learned that my little group was down on the street below my room. I closed the call with Jiajing and went down to meet them. Charles had brought four friends with him. He wanted to bring two more but they were not available. I suggested we take the ferry across to the pedestrian walk, where I could buy a shirt and we could get lunch. After lunch we could go for a short walk in the park and then take the ferry back home. The plan sounded good to them, especially since I would cover the cost.

We crossed the river and headed to the pedestrian walk and to a nice store selling men's shirts. I had with me three Chinese young ladies and two young men. For me this was an opportunity to buy a shirt and to watch the reactions of these students as we picked out, tried on shirts, and finally purchased the one that I and the group decided on. One of the young ladies didn't like the price and decided she was going to talk it down, which she did. After paying for the shirt I wanted a picture of them in the store. I sensed that taking that picture caused some discomfort and provided an opportunity to talk about why as we walked from the store.

We left the store and walked and talked to where we were to eat. They ordered and I paid the bill. We had a simple but delicious meal.

We left the restaurant and headed off to the riverside park. We walked and talked and stopped and talked and as we did the group and I grew closer and closer together. At the park one of the young ladies asked me about prayer. She asked me if I prayed and if so what was it like. I told her I come to this park two times each week and sit on one of these benches and pray for the people living across the river. Then two days each week I go to the park over there and sit on a bench and pray for the people over here. I told her some of what I included in my prayer. She then asked me why I did that and I explained that I have a love for Chinese people and I want them to know and understand the truth that will set them free from the bondage of darkness. Interest was now growing in the group to know more about the Christian faith. They asked me to return in the fall and lead them in a study of Christianity from the Bible. That request added great value to the $25 dollars I spent for ferry tickets and the meal. The time with these students was a great finish for this time in China.

We took the ferry ride back to the other side and walked to their bus stop. I told Charles I had an extra Jesus film in the Chinese language with me and if he would return to Jiajing's parent's home and pick it up he could have it for he and others to look at.