A year ago the 521 bus used to squeeze itself down this narrow street lined with very old buildings in a state of disrepair. It was an interesting part of old Wuhan. When I came back this time, the bus no longer went down this street because the street had been rebuilt and the building had been given a facelift. I mean, this street was different as seen in the following picture.
As you can see from the above picture and the following, the buildings look real nice and the street is a nice place to walk, except when certain drivers want to use it as a short cut. Now and then a big city bus will drive down it making life difficult for everyone.
This morning we were walking down the sidewalk - not in the above pictures, but a different street - to get breakfast and parked in front of us on the sidewalk were two big busses. We had to walk in the street with the traffic. Further down the street, cars pulled in over the curb and parked with front bumper touching the building and the rear bumper hanging over the curb. Again you walk among traffic.
Let us get back to the new street. As you walk down it, you come to an entrance to "snack street."
It is a nice place for a snack or a meal.
I stopped by a place and got a few small potatoes and then walked down farther and got some meat on a stick. The first bite would clear your sinuses and wash your eyes with tears, but it was so good.
Where I got my potatoes, I watched a young couple and was disappointed in what I saw. The waitress filled their container and then added one more potato as a gesture of kindness. The fellow with her paid five RMB, requiring one RMB in change. When the waitress turned to get the change the young lady took one more potato and put it in her container. They walked away satisfied that they had gotten a bargain. To me it was a demonstration that humans have a sin problem and without a savior each is headed toward a very long life in a place that was not designed for living in.
After chewing on meat and wiping the sweat off my forehead, I needed a tooth pick to finish off my meal with what was left between my teeth. Normal toothpicks work ok, but for my family and friends in Texas, you need a man's sized one shown in the next picture. There is no messing around with them.
If you are reading this blog entry on schedule, your calendar should show Tuesday. That means I leave tomorrow and have to think about all the work left to do at home. How does that work influence souls for eternity? Is that really a productive use of time? I believe there is going to be a lot of regret when God puts our works in the fire at the judgment seat of Christ and most of it burns up. How much of what we do was determined beforehand by God? I think we make our load heavy for reasons of our own making. I know I am very guilty of that.






