Because of a death in Jiajing's family, I have been alone here for the last two days. As I write this it is May 11 and time for my evening meal. As I think about my options, I am impressed to go to a small Chinese restaurant and order one of my favorite meals. I can't speak or read Chinese and they can't understand English, so how was I going to order what I wanted.
I went there with Jiajing's dad several days ago and at that time he introduced me to the receptionist, waitress, and cook. We ordered, ate and left with big smiles all around. Tonight I was hoping they would remember me and with some hand gestures, maybe I could order.
As I approached the door they did recognize me; all three of them. I made a circle with my two hands to represent the container my food would come in and they understood. The cook knew what ingredients I wanted. I thought everything was ok until they gave me the bill, which comes at the beginning of the meal at this place. The price was not large enough for what I thought I had ordered. They had forgotten the soup we had ordered before. Now I had a problem. I gestured and acted like I was eating soup Chinese style; that is using a spoon part of the time and drinking it the rest of the time. After awhile a light seemed to come on and my soup was on the way and my bill upgraded to reflect the addition.
I spooned and drank my soup as I relaxed and listened to piano music as their background music. Before I had finished my soup the main course was served; the cook got it right. I leisurely enjoyed my meal, knowing that I could come back again and get my favorite. I left with smiles all around again with joy in my heart that I had responded to an impression.
PS - If you are reading this on the posted date, I should be someplace between my residence in China and in the US, and hopefully on schedule.
