Monday, May 11, 2009

Iron Man

Iron Man is a windmill brand made in Wuhan, China by the Iron Man Windmill company. The business is run by a person I met here in Wuhan over two years ago. Because of his rural application in providing water for farms and small communities, I have been interested in his work.

His original interest and application was to use wind to pump water from wells, but now there is a growing interest in generating electricity also. This application is currently being considered by the company.

I was asked if I would like to go to a rural site, with three college professors, to where a windmill was in the final stages of construction. That trip, requiring about two hours by car each way, was planned for today, Friday, May 8. After fighting city traffic and then rural construction traffic we finally arrived at the windmill site.

Workers are finishing the assembly of the windmill head.

The windmill is to provide water for the community seen below. Tom says it is a very poor community, but I didn't get to see it because with my construction skills I found it natural to help Tom put together the four inch piping from the pump.

The area around the windmill is rice farming.

That sure is wet farming.

It was an experience to spend the day with three Chinese professors who couldn't speak English. We had a great time and a great lunch on our way back. They dropped me off someplace in Wuhan and I managed, using three busses, to find my way back to where I live in time for supper.