Sunday, May 17, 2009

Back In The US

It was a long trip of 29 hours. Everything was on schedule and the flights were smooth, at least that is the way it was until Chicago. As we left Shanghai I noticed on my monitor an unusual route projection. Usually the flight back will follow the south shore of Alaska, but this time we were to fly just a little bit north and then straight across, entering the US near Seattle. This was the first time we didn't fly across Canada on our return and approach Chicago from the north. This change of flight suggested a change in air currents and possible weather problems ahead.

A flight of twelve to fourteen hours allows plenty of time for weather changes to occur at your designation and as we flew bad weather in the Midwest developed causing air traffic problems. Traffic was getting backed up and flights were being cancelled. I would soon learn that my flight out of Chicago was one of those cancelled.

Somehow our flight was worked into the flight pattern and we actually arrived on time. We got off and went through customs in record time and went to baggage claim and got our luggage. At this point no one was aware of scheduling problems for connecting flights, but as we entered the transfer point to domestic flights it became very clear to us there was a problem. The flight tags on our luggage was checked and for many there was no problem. Their luggage was put on the transfer belt and they were free to go catch their flight, but people like me were told to join the growing line behind a very busy ticket counter. That is when I learned my flight had been cancelled. When I finally got to the counter I learned that I had been booked on another flight, scheduled to leave at six the next morning. With all my luggage that was not a good option, but fortunately there was another possibility. I was scheduled to fly into DFW, but if I was willing to fly into Love Field I could leave tonight. I agreed and headed off to wait for the American Eagle flight.

Once I got to the gate and checked the flight information I realized there was another problem. They were waiting for a plane to arrive, unload, be serviced, and then loaded and sent on its way to a city not located in Texas. We waited and waited and finally it arrived and then left. Now we waited and waited for our plane to arrive, unload, and be serviced. Finally, it was time to board and we were on our way. As we flew out across bad weather we bounced around, but after about an hour it smoothed out and sleep came easily. We finally arrived in Dallas and home shortly after eleven to try to get more sleep.

As I write this three days have passed since I left China and I seem to still be on China time. Hopefully in a few more days things will be back to normal.