Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Long Walk

Wednesday, May 6, was one of those days when you sense that God wants some real one on one time with you. After a brief walk looking at cultural events taking place in the neighborhood, I returned to my room for some computer related work, but found myself unusually tired so I grabbed a short nap. I finished up what I wanted to do at the computer and went out to find lunch from venders along the street. When I returned to my room I knew God wanted me to go walk with him in the park across the river. In obedience I walk to the ferry, took it across the river and then walked about a half mile to the park.

The park is about two and a half miles long and in the picture above is located on the left side of the river, extending from the bridge down to almost the bottom of the picture. The park is a narrow strip between the river and the flood wall built next to a city street. I walked toward the bridge along the wall and returned on the river side.

There are several main entrances into the park from the street. One of them is shown in the next picture.

Another is shown below.

It is a long way, but the picture does not show the end. It turns a little to the left and keeps on going.

To walk in this park is a time one can be still and listen to God's Spirit speak to your heart. First, was to realize that no matter how good I might think I am, I am still fall far from being holy like God is and the only way I am acceptable to him is through the work Jesus Christ did on the cross by dying for my sin. The next point God wanted to make clear to me was why I am here on this earth.

Each person is a soul, clothed with a body of flesh. One day the body will be no more, but the soul will exist forever. God made it clear that I am to see each person as a soul that knows him and loves him or one that is separated from him. In either case my main job on earth is to influence these souls to either come to know God or to grow in their walk with him.

God chose me before the foundation of the world that I should be holy and blameless before him (Ephesians 1:4). He chose me to obey him (1 Peter 1:1 - 2) and he determined work for me to do while on earth (Ephesians 2:10). Therefore, my main responsibility is to love him and do the work he has assigned to me to do. He tells me that the work will be light and easy (Matthew 11:28 - 30). But there is more. He tells me, if I trust him and do good, dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness, delight myself in him, and commit my ways to him, he will give me the desires of my heart (Psalm 37:3 - 5). If I put him first and do his work, he will bless me with the desires of my heart.

As I walked in the park I realized how much of my life, in the past, was out of focus. It was me first and him second. I worked long hard stressful hours during my life and have some health problem to show for it. When we live like that we don't have time or energy to influence souls as we should and when we get to where we realize our bodies aren't going to last much longer, we look back and see how small our influence has been for eternity.

Nearly sixty years ago I sensed God wanted me to serve him in Asia, but I managed to take a different path that entailed much hard work. That path did eventually lead to Asia, but I wonder what the other path might have been like. There is no question that Asia was to be part of my life. Now that I am here I long to stay, but a choice was made before that requires me to return to my responsibilities in the US.

How much work are you doing that is not necessary that is not providing an influence through the work God has designed for you to do with him. It is a work of faith he wants, where you are available as a channel of his love and power. I am learning that first hand here in China. A small amount of influence can make an eternal difference in the lives of people.