It is very interesting to observe these students who are going to the US to study. One minute they act like the kids they are and the next, the adults they are becoming. Up until now they have been a slave of the school system, forced to memorize vast amounts of material in preparation for the college entrance exam. Now they feel the sense of freedom, but when their thoughts turn to the trip to the US and being away from what is familiar for so long, it causes some concern.
As I spend time with these students I realize how great an advantage Jiajing has. She will travel with me who carries the responsibility of seeing her through all the unknowns. She will have the opportunity of spending a month adjusting to a new culture before going to another new experience of higher learning in her second language. She will have a month to practice English and not be able to use Chinese. She will have the opportunity to travel from Texas to New York to spend two weeks with my family living there. Being able to experience all of this and more within a family she is learning much about has greatly raised her level of excitement.
I did not choose for this to happen. I believe, for some reason, God chose me. The day I met her at the coffee shop I sensed God had a plan, but at the time I didn’t know what it was. I still wonder what he has planned, where this is all going and who it will involve. In many ways she is still a kid, but she is developing into a fine young lady that loves the Lord. It is this love for him that has caught my attention. I wonder how he is going to use it.
We counted off the days leading up to the visa interview and wondered what God’s will was. Now we are counting off the days leading up to the trip to a whole new world for her. I believe the visa was a fleece before God. Now I seek his council concerning what many are to learn and experience from what he is doing. I know there will be some bumps along the way. These bumps are necessary for the growth God wants us to experience.
We will arrive at DFW on July 21. She will be in Batavia, NY between July 30 and August 12. On August 20 I will take her to her university. I will again leave for China on September 25 and will return on November 24 in time for thanksgiving.
As I spend time with these students I realize how great an advantage Jiajing has. She will travel with me who carries the responsibility of seeing her through all the unknowns. She will have the opportunity of spending a month adjusting to a new culture before going to another new experience of higher learning in her second language. She will have a month to practice English and not be able to use Chinese. She will have the opportunity to travel from Texas to New York to spend two weeks with my family living there. Being able to experience all of this and more within a family she is learning much about has greatly raised her level of excitement.
I did not choose for this to happen. I believe, for some reason, God chose me. The day I met her at the coffee shop I sensed God had a plan, but at the time I didn’t know what it was. I still wonder what he has planned, where this is all going and who it will involve. In many ways she is still a kid, but she is developing into a fine young lady that loves the Lord. It is this love for him that has caught my attention. I wonder how he is going to use it.
We counted off the days leading up to the visa interview and wondered what God’s will was. Now we are counting off the days leading up to the trip to a whole new world for her. I believe the visa was a fleece before God. Now I seek his council concerning what many are to learn and experience from what he is doing. I know there will be some bumps along the way. These bumps are necessary for the growth God wants us to experience.
We will arrive at DFW on July 21. She will be in Batavia, NY between July 30 and August 12. On August 20 I will take her to her university. I will again leave for China on September 25 and will return on November 24 in time for thanksgiving.
