Friday, July 11, 2008

All Kinds of Food

Jiajing met me at church again on Sunday. It was the first Sunday of the month and that meant we would take communion, a very special event. After church I was to spend time with her and her parents and some friends; actually lots of friends. She and I were to meet her mother at a special location; in fact it is a famous location here in this city in China where I live. It is a street along which are located many roadside eating stands. That is where the three of us were to eat our Sunday noon meal. The picture below shows the main entrance to this street.


It was Sunday noon and it was very hot and muggy so the crowd was small. In the evening it will be wall to wall people here getting a bite to eat and just enjoying being together. Their idea of being together would drive most Americans nuts.


From the picture above you can tell this was not going to be a usual meal. Just imagine holding one of those things in your hand, preparing for that first bite. Would it be easier if you were blindfolded? Maybe the next stop, seen below, is more your type. I hope they don’t wiggle at the wrong time.


Did I hear someone say they were losing their appetite? I don’t know why. This food to them is like apple pie and ice cream to us. We simply have a problem with what the story in our mind is telling us; shame on it.


After enjoying a delicious main meal we stopped at the picture above and had dessert. It was so cool and refreshing. It was a meal you couldn’t pass up, but we did. We opted for a meal of noodles, so I guess you could call us wimps.